Do I have a egg eating hen??? (Updated Pg2)

if you dont cull her, then you need to come up with a way of getting her egg away from her FAST, and make it so she cant get to others eggs., like a "egg roll" nest, where the egg rolls out and "goes" somewhere else that she cant get to.

thanks so much the storms have passed so I am gonna try this and I'll update later. I'd hate to cull her so the roll away egg thing sounds like a good idea.

I keep thinking maybe it was the young roo? Maybe he busted it and she ate it with him???

I guess we will see.....

UPDATE...

I took a referidgratied egg outside and rolled it across the floor infrount of my older hen (Who I thought was eating eggs) and the young roo...They came and was very interested the hen did not pecking she gently took her beak to the egg and tried rolling it underneath her a couple of times. The young rook investigated it as well softly pecking it...but was uninterested in it quickly. I rewarded them with some treats (Apples) and some plants with roots and all still attached for something to do.

So I don't know now...Maybe one got accidently broken? I know for sure its not her...all she wanted to do was roll the egg under her...(Mind you she is a VERY broody girl) This makes me feel alot better I thought my best hen had became a egg eater.

Last edited:
I went out yesterday to feed my girls and found an amerauca pecking a hole in an egg and watching the stuff fall out and my others eating them. she only pecked the one egg and rolled the other 3 eggs up under her maybe one laid it the night before and it froze and then she ate it I don't know but that is what I think happened to mine.

yup,, sounds to me like the egg might have been accidentally broken,, then they ate it. which,,, well,, they should do lol
wink.png

i wouldnt worry bout it unless it happens again in a day or 2.
wink.png

glad she aint an egg eater !!

Back
Top Bottom