Do I have a fertile egg?

The air pocket is on the fat end of the egg. I can see it but you are candling from the side
The air pocket starts out small and grows as the egg incubates.
This early it won’t be to big
But I always candle from the air cell as I can see much better through the egg
What kind of bator are you using ?
Still or forced air
What’s the humidity at and heat ?
have you calibrated any thermometers ? Or hygrometer?
Low heat can make baby grow slower. To high of heat can make it grow faster
37.5 or 99.5 is the temp
I incubate my duck eggs at 45% humidity until lockdown then up to 65-70
I also take my eggs out once a day to cool down 5-10 mins starting day 10 and mist them with warm water
Until lockdown
I also candle my eggs everyday and enjoy watching the growth
I have good hatch rates
Now with this being a lone duck egg if it hatches this baby will get lonely
Do you have a plan to buy it a friend or two ?
Thats the thing. I’ve made a homemade one and I have no idea the temperature but it feels like body temperature and for humidify I have a small bowl of water with a sponge. I know its not optimal but it was a rush thing I wanted to get the egg safe and warm immediately. I assume im doing something right if its “growing”. My set up is a box with an electric heating pad inside and I close it to keep the temperature stable. I know my chances are probably not the best since I dont have the correct equipment.

The air pocket is on the fat end of the egg. I can see it but you are candling from the side
Still or forced air
37.5 or 99.5 is the temp
I also take my eggs out once a day to cool down 5-10 mins starting day 10 and mist them with warm water
Until lockdown
I have good hatch rates
I plan taking care of it for a fee weeks then return it to the forest where it was found where there’s many ducks of all ages including ducklings. Its not something I can keep anyways. I just wanted to try and give it a chance and save it.

Still or forced air
37.5 or 99.5 is the temp
Until lockdown
I have good hatch rates
Also the egg has a slight green olive tint and im using a phone flash so I cant really see much inside

I plan taking care of it for a fee weeks then return it to the forest where it was found where there’s many ducks of all ages including ducklings. Its not something I can keep anyways. I just wanted to try and give it a chance and save it.
Unfortunately, you're going to have to call your local dnr/game warden/ wild rescue, if you manage to hatch it, or before, rather. It will likely imprint on you and be unable to adapt and mingle with other ducks, if it's a wild duck breed, it will be illegal for you to keep for any length of time. You could be fined and the duckling culled. :[ I hate to be a bearer of bad news and I know your hearts in the right place. Good luck!

Unfortunately, you're going to have to call your local dnr/game warden/ wild rescue, if you manage to hatch it, or before, rather. It will likely imprint on you and be unable to adapt and mingle with other ducks, if it's a wild duck breed, it will be illegal for you to keep for any length of time. You could be fined and the duckling culled. :[ I hate to be a bearer of bad news and I know your hearts in the right place. Good luck!
Thank you. Definitely trying to do the right thing. But the country im currently visiting doesn’t have wild rescue like home in the states. They only offer services for cats and dogs. So im its only hope at this point. I was considering that until I was informed by the locals.

Thank you. Definitely trying to do the right thing. But the country im currently visiting doesn’t have wild rescue like home in the states. They only offer services for cats and dogs. So im its only hope at this point. I was considering that until I was informed by the locals.
raising the duckling for a few weeks, then leaving them isn't the best idea-- what breed do you think they are? You mentioned other ducks and ducklings in the woods, do they look like mallards, wood ducks, muscovies, any idea?

Back
Top Bottom