Do I have a hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggsr4me, Sep 19, 2013.

1. eggsr4me

eggsr4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I am new to raising chickens. I have 10 in my flock. I have 6 older hens, 4 are laying, 2 should be in the next 2 months. 1 rooster, and 3 chicks. I am not sure if the chicks are hens or roosters. 1 is a rhode island red, 1 barred rock and 1 golden buff, I am pretty sure the buff is a hen, the other two, I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Of the three chicks in the last picture, the one on the left looks like a roo with all the comb and the patchy reddish color, it isn't a RIR, not sure what it is. The second chick looks like a girl, the Golden Buff? The BR looks like a roo also, pretty light colored and seems to have a fair amount of pink comb.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are the chicks? where did you get them?

I believe two of them are roosters, the barred and the brown/white. but the barred bird looks to have white earlobes, and the other one is not a rhode island red. They both look mixed to me.

4. eggsr4me

Aug 11, 2013
    They are 7 weeks old tomorrow. I got them from a man who raises chickens for the past 10 years, ( I think he said) He said the one was a barred rock, rhode island red and buff. I was thinking the two larger ones where roosters. Thanks for your input.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Two mixed breed cockerels for sure at that age.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel and mixed breed cockerel. The white earlobe that some others have been seeing actually appears to be the stiff feathers covering the ear; you can see the beginning of a red earlobe beneath those feathers.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a Barred Rock cockerel and a mixed breed cockerel, a Bantamlover21 said. Both are obvious roosters because of their color pattern (the Barred Rock is light in color, and the mix has blotchy coloring), and their comb size (females have much smaller combs at this age).

8. eggsr4me

Aug 11, 2013
    Thank you for your thoughts on the gender. I thought too they were cockerels, but I wanted the opinion of others. I appreciate all the responses, I am new to raising chickens and this is very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by