Do I have a midget chicken..It is not a bantam?? Pics added

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
4 weeks ago I had 6 standard EE eggs in my incubator all were normal size. One of the chicks that hatched out was the size of a tiny bantam. Noy this chick is 1/3 of the size of it brothers and sisters. It is very odd I thought it was going to die at first because it was so tiny. Now it is fine and picks on the others. Anyone have this happen to them? I assume this is how bantams were made.

Last edited:
i want to see it lol! some of my standard size chicks were smaller than my banty's when i brought them home, but that all changed when they hit 2 weeks.

I have read some posts before about extra-small standard breeds, so I think that is is fairly common. We had a cuckoo marans pullet that was normal sized at hatch but only grew to about half the size of her sister. In the case of this bird, she also seemed a bit odd... just not quite right, although I can't really explain why. She seemed healthy enough though. Unfortunately she was killed and eaten by a red tailed hawk that flew into our barn to get her! I don't think that her response time was a quick as her flockmates. Poor little squirt.

Was it a very late hatcher? I recently hatched some Ameraucana eggs, and 2 of the 3 that hatched are easily triple the size of the last to hatch. They are 10 days old in this pic, and you can clearly see how small the last one is. They are all doing fine so far. OH, I forgot to say that the 3rd hatchling didn't hatch until day 23:

Ameraucanas-10days.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, it's a really bad picture...not sure what happend to may camera. Yes, the little one is VERY cute! I hope it's a she!

Back
Top Bottom