Do I have a poorly chick? Please help

DeeDee234

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Dear all

I would really appreciate some advice.

My chick who is around 12/13 weeks old keeps dipping and gets a little puffed up, almost as if she is trying to lay an egg. When standing she keeps turning her head to scratch/peck at her bottom (at least I think that's what she's trying to do). Given her young age I don't think she is anywhere near laying her first egg.

I thought she might be constipated?

She is normally very flighty and comes up to me when ever I'm around but she is quite subdude and runs from me if I try to pick her up. I eventually got hold of her and she got in a panic. Once settled I checked her bottom and couldn't see anything untoward, however I am only a month in from starting to keep chickens so I haven't really got anything to compare it to to be able to tell if there is anything unusual about her bottom.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms in a young chicken?

Please help, I am very worried about my little one
zzz5.gif

She might just be feeling annoyed by new feathers coming in. I can't remember when they are supposed to have partial molts during their first year, but they often aren't noticeable to us. I would definitely check her and the others closely for lice/mites, also, as she could also be trying to catch them. It's a good idea to check chickens for this routinely, anyway. They are carried by wild birds and not that unusual.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Back
Top Bottom