Do I have a rooster? Are these Barred Rocks or Dominiques??

Dominique’s have rose comb like yours. Barred rocks have single combs. There are other differences as well but that’s the most obvious. The one on the left in the top picture looks like a hen but the one on the right I can’t tell for sure but I’d lean towards hen as not looking like the waddles are doing much. Are their combs the same color or is one redder?
Thank you! The darker chick has a redder comb...and it's waddles seem more noticeable, but still barely there

You have 2 Dominique pullets. I know because even though both combs seem red, at 7 weeks they have lack of waddle growth and color. If I'm not sure about the comb, I always look at the waddles. Waddles will match comb for a rooster, and be small and pale for a hen.
Looks like you won't have to re-home either. :D

Barred rock roosters have a single comb and develop quickly. You don't have a barred rock here both are Dominique and possibly 2 pullets.One appears to have a have larger rose comb than the other so it may be a late blooming roo. Their colors don't match but is common in some flocks of this breed.

They both look like hens to me ;) the one with the larger comb that is a little more red, if you see the waddles turning red in the next week you may have a rooster on your hands but I would guess it’s a hen :)

Back
Top Bottom