Do I have a Rooster in the mix??

baggetthj

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Georgia
Hi I am a newbe here. We just started our back yard chickens. Our family went and got our baby chickens ouround Easter. We were told they were all femials, got them from our local feed store. Can anyone tell me if I have a Rooster in the mix.
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

Hi I am a newbe here. We just started our back yard chickens. Our family went and got our baby chickens ouround Easter. We were told they were all femials, got them from our local feed store. Can anyone tell me if I have a Rooster in the mix
pic 2 Top left bird is an Easter Egger cockerel, bottom right bird with partridge pattern is an Easter Egger pullet
pic 3 Both birds are Easter Egger cockerels
Hope that helps. Sorry about your luck. When hatcheries sex birds, they only guarantee 90% accuracy. That means there can be 10 cockerels in a batch of 100 birds and the batch still counts as "sexed pullets." In the future, if you really can't have roosters, you may want to buy older birds or Sex Links, which are much less likely to be mis-sexed.

Thanks so much the two y'all talking about we thought might me roos but we needed help lol. We love them all so much the biggest one pic three top is peacker we figured from the start he may be a male because he is the ring leader the bottom one in pic three is halie and we started to notice them starting to fly at each other so guess she is a Henry lol. So next question when do I need to separate them? And can I keep two roos? I hate to part with either one. My husband is excited because he wanted a roo I really didn't lol.

Thanks so much the two y'all talking about we thought might me roos but we needed help lol. We love them all so much the biggest one pic three top is peacker we figured from the start he may be a male because he is the ring leader the bottom one in pic three is halie and we started to notice them starting to fly at each other so guess she is a Henry lol. So next question when do I need to separate them? And can I keep two roos? I hate to part with either one. My husband is excited because he wanted a roo I really didn't lol.
How many hens do you have total? You really need at least 8-10 hens per rooster so that the boys don't fight and don't over-mate the hens.

You need to separate the boys you're not going to keep when they become a problem. For me, that's usually around 16 weeks when the male hormones kick in and the cockerels start pulling feathers and bullying the pullets. If you're keeping one cockerel, you do not need to separate him at all.

I agree with the other posters--you have two cockerels. Unless you want your hens to get overmated and stressed out, at least one rooster needs to go.

Back
Top Bottom