Do I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Saffi0418, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Saffi0418

Saffi0418 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am new to chicken raising and hope someone can help me.
    I have five 8 week old Isa Browns, which I bought as week old chicks. They are meant to be girls, but the breeder said they can't always be 100% right.
    I've noticed their 'voices' changing over the past couple of weeks - the 'cheeping' seems to be getting lower in tone, and of course there is the noisier squabbles over food.
    They are still inside - in multiple packing boxes joined together, while we finish off the coop. This morning, while they were still covered up, one of them made a noise like a football siren/horn. Would this be the start of crowing, or can the girls also make such noises?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Pics would help, but I think Isa Browns are a sex-link bird(could be wrong, still learning). At 8 weeks may or may not crow if you have a cockerel in the bunch. Their voices do weird things when they start getting the grown up chirps. Could have just been an alarm trill.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Being a sex link breed it's really hard for the sexer to make a mistake, unless there is one chick that was just a tad bit dark for a male and it was sexed as a female. Male day old ISA browns should be white, the females tan.
    So assuming that there was that one iffy chick, yes you could be hearing some practice crowing going on.

4. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    I was surprised as the peeps turned to deeper clucks and squawks. My Buff Orphington squawks most of the morning and she is definitely a hen. I would not make any judgments until either you hear a cock-a-doodle-doo. Pictures of them would be a better way to make try to make any determination at this age.

5. Saffi0418

Saffi0418 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks - hopefully they are just experimenting.
    I cant tell who is responsible for the outburst, but they seem to scare themselves as much as the others!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by