do i have a wyandotte probelm?

adk homesteader

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
i got 60 gl wyandotte i wanted to start breeding but now im noticeing something some of them have a single comb. i was wondering how pure the genitics were if this could happen should i just try to breed it out or just get some next year from a differnt hatchery.

i don't think you would want to breed a single comb wyandotte. you would want to keep the rose comb so you need to breed the ones with rosecombs and yo should be fine!
smile.png
just keep the single comb ones for egg layers!
big_smile.png

In general, chicks from a hatchery are not considered the best genetic stock. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, just that they are bred for quantity and not neccessarily quality. The best egg layer I ever had was a hatchery Australorp, but she had golden eyes instead of black ones, so technically she was no good for breeding.
If you are interested in breeding, I would invest some money in a roo whose conformation is as close to what you want as possible, and run him with the best quality hens you have from your current batch.

Quote:
What is your goal by breeding them?

If you are thinking of breeding to sell Gold Laced Wyandotte you have two things you can do.
1 - Breed what you have and let the buyer know that they are buying eggs/chicks out of Hatchery Stock and that there is a possibility of a Single Comb bird being one of the parents.
or
2 - Keep what you have for your own use and invest in some *Standard Bred Gold Laced Wyandottes that are from a reputable breeder.

*Standard Bred Gold Laced Wyandottes -
Gold Laced Wyandottes that are bred to the American Standard of Perfection and true to what the breed should be.

Chris

I think it's pretty common to get single combed Wyandottes from a hatchery. I don't really see it as a problem, just place to start with the culling. I'd sell off all of the single combed ones early, and see what I had left. That's just me, of course. If I had 60 of any kind of bird, I'd feel like I had plenty of room to whittle the flock down to the best ones.

Like Chris said, it all depends on your goals.

thanks for all the imput sorry it took so long for me to get back im off grid and without a computer. My goals are just egg production but i would like it to stay close to the breed standards

Quote:
With that being the goal, the Single combed birds will be large enough to make a good meal, as well as the left over cockrells. Try to locate a good cockrell from a proven line and add to your hens. The Hatchery stock birds will likely lay a little better and by slowly bringing the two together you should get some better birds over a period of time.

Back
Top Bottom