Do i have Ducks? or are my chickens slow?

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
So i let my chickens out this morning and about 30 minutes later it started to down pour! and as soon as i saw the rain i began to run home to put the chickens in side, but my father in law said it was not big deal, they will naturally seek shelter.... but when i can home for lunch, my two girls where still outside soak right through. is this normal that chickens will stay in the rain or do I have chickens with a duck genes?

Hi Le Mitzer,

I live in Seattle Wa., infamous for being rainy. My chickens will hang out in the rain too, unless it really starts raining heavily. Then they move under the eves.

Imp

My chickens don't seem to care if it raining, unless it really starts to pour... I mean "can't see 10 yards away it's raining so hard" pouring...anything less, and they don't even seem to notice...

Mine stay out in the rain unless it's coming down really hard. They go out in the snow too (I live where we don't get too much snow, and when we do, it melts quickly). I open the coop doors and let them decide what they want to do. If they get uncomfortable, they'll find shelter.

Chickens are amazingly tolerant of rain. When mine were younger, they would get soaked before coming inside. Now, at 2 years old, they are a little more fussy and will seek shelter when it rains. Unless, of course, I throw a handful of corn out for them. Then, "who cares about the weather!".

Mine ignore light rain other than to shake it off every now and then. They go inside if it starts raining hard. The silkies actually will put up with heavier rain than the EEs before going in. I've seen them playing in puddles along the drip line even.

Back
Top Bottom