Do I have enough room?

I hope you'll let us know how introducing a rooster went.
Below is an example of what 18 hens, one rooster in a run of 387.5 square feet and a coop of 18 square feet looks like in a British autumn.
The coop isn't much of an issue given they are in the run from dawn till dusk and let out into an allotment for a few hours daily.
I don't need to exlpain how awful the conditions would be if they never got let out of the run.
Pick your run size by climate and keeping arrangments and amount of land available. Here on BYC ten square foot per bird is often recommended. My view is multiply that by ten and one is getting closer.
PB020603.JPG
PB020607.JPG
PB020593.JPG
PA140447.JPG

Oof those dimensions sound so small to me. I just got back in from rounding up half of my flock that breached my temporary free range fencing (it protects my garden and landscaping from them.) What I'm talking about here is they just had to get to the 2 out of 5 acres they were prevented from getting to. There is just never enough room and I can't even image having my 11 chickens in those cramped quarters. It was smart of you to ask for personal preference knowing that there really is no "law" on this. I'm just of the opinion that since I have majorly over done it with space, I have very few issues to deal with. No bullying, fast molt, healthy as can be chickens I really do attribute to 800 sq ft. Run, 112 sq ft. Coop, 3acres daily Ranging. I actually want to but won't add more chickens because I know they will decimate more Run space.

@SandyRiverChick yea! That's why I asked. I can keep 500 chickens in a 10x10 coop, but it's torture, ya know? I really wanted real world experience! I definitely want my flock to be happy and healthy, and don't want to contribute to any issues! Thanks so much for your reply and knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom