Do I have enough ventilation?

Great discussion. And the entry from that Ontarian is the best thing I've read about the issues of ventilation. In a cold climate, Northeast Pennsylvania, I'm very concerned about my future flock, even as I have selected cold tolerant varieties.
I've resolved to put in a full ridge vent in the roof and a rectangular opening at the base of a coop wall with a air director on the outside to protect from wind/drafts, for air intake.
df

@dfalchek I have ridge vents on two of my coops but keep in mind that they're useless when covered with snow. If they have a filter material in them, that can get clogged with the inevitable dust from the chickens.
While I still like a ridge vent, gable vents and big hardware cloth covered windows are necessary.

Those are excellent point and you have got me thinking. I will have a large window, but I understand that ventilation is best placed high and low. The open window would be at roost level, which could cause a problem in the winter. I expect to keep that window closed. So a ridge vent, I thought, would be a home run. Maybe I will scrap the ridge vent and go with a group of one or two-inch holes on both wall peaks, with hardware cloth on the interior. I will also look at those spinning ventilators for the roof. I have some time to mull over such things. Thanks for getting me thinking now, when it counts! DF

Those are excellent point and you have got me thinking. I will have a large window, but I understand that ventilation is best placed high and low. The open window would be at roost level, which could cause a problem in the winter. I expect to keep that window closed. So a ridge vent, I thought, would be a home run. Maybe I will scrap the ridge vent and go with a group of one or two-inch holes on both wall peaks, with hardware cloth on the interior. I will also look at those spinning ventilators for the roof. I have some time to mull over such things. Thanks for getting me thinking now, when it counts! DF
I don't have chickens yet but from what I've seen from the article, it seems some holes aren't necessarily enough (though I'm sure it depends) so perhaps you could look into getting some gable vents for both ends instead? And then maybe have longer, narrow, vents running along the tops of the other 2 walls? That's what I'm now planning on doing when I hopefully get my chickens this spring, after having read that article. And then I like your window idea at roost level or some sort of vent I can close but I like the window idea as that seems the easiest to close.

Does this look like enough ventilation??? Im going to board up the mesh-windows on the door so only the windows at the top of this bldg. will be open all the time.
idunno.gif
hmm.png
hu.gif
he.gif

We have a full width 8' roof vent, front and rear on the coop, plus 4 screened windows roughly 1sqft each, plus where the people door is, we have screened off about 1/3 of it with hardware cloth. 13 teenage birds in a 64sqft blding plus run. Under the coop is an 8x8' gravel area for shade too.

Is there hardware cloth over the holes to keep out wasps, etc. or small birds? I just leave the windows open which is not ideal on windy and very cold nights.
Regardless, most of my small flock (the newer girls) refuse to go into the coop at night to sleep. Instead they roost on roosting bars in their run, very close to the coop door. One of the remaining birds from an older flock (the one who was not lost to predators) doesn't want them on the roosting bars, even though there plenty of space and only 6 hens total.

Well, there goes my design! I live in SE Alabama. Has been in high 90's with lots of rain this year. High temperature + high humidity = change of plans! Thanks for all information. This will be an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom