Do I have Indian Runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrslola617, Sep 22, 2014.

1. mrslola617

mrslola617 New Egg

Jun 10, 2014
    Hi everyone!

I'm still pretty new to the duck world. Back in May we bought 2 ducklings from a feed store and were told they were "most likely" Indian Runner ducks.

When I see pics of other Indian Runners, they seem taller and more upright than my ducks. But my ducks' coloring looks like some of the Indian Runners...

Can anyone tell from these pics if I have Indian Runners?

Also, I'm almost positive I have 2 females (for sure at least 1 because I just started finding eggs 2 days ago). Neither duck has that little curl and both have loud quacks...so is it safe to assume I have 2 females?

Thanks in advance for any help![​IMG][/IMG]

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    The one in the back looks like a Runner to me, not so sure about the one in the front. However, I'm far from an expert on this breed, and I'm sure others will chime in.

As far as the other part goes, drakes don't always have a distinct drake feather by four months old, but if they're both definitely quacking, they're both hens.

3. mrslola617

mrslola617 New Egg

Jun 10, 2014
    The brown one will stand up like the white one...maybe this pic will help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I would have guessed Runners with that pic, but again, I'm not an expert on them. There are lots of people who frequent this board who have Runners, Some of them will be able to tell you.

5. callmeRISH

callmeRISH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    one in back im 99% sure its a runner, not sure on one in front doesnt look upright enough to be a runner but i am no expert i know a bit about a few breeds but not all.

6. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    White fawn runner ducks. Found out not all runners are tall and thin with an up right posture like the one in the back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by