Do i have mites or something else?

Di's Ladys

Chirping
Oct 14, 2018
I have a rooster in my garage because he is being treated for wry neck. There are very very tiny black bugs all over the wood and food holder. when I put my hand near the cage they are all over my hand. I can't find any on the rooster and his feathers are fine but i sprayed him and everything with Manna pro poultry spray. Two days later they are back. Since they are not on the chicken could they be something else besides mites?

We need pics
16C516CF-CAB7-47E5-870C-64A78CE18F57.jpeg

Wondering why I can’t find any on the chicken but they jump all over me. Afraid to use permethrin because I have cats. Would Seven dust be ok?
7 dust has a synthetic version of permethrin in it. If you are worried about your birds having mites treat them with ivermectin pour on, and you can spray the coop with talstar p which is bifenthrin. Once it is completely dry it is safe for cats, dogs, chickens ect.. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I would say they are mites too.

I would get some permethrin dust or spray, clean out the housing treat it and the bird.
Do this in 7 day intervals.

How long has he had Wry Neck?

I would get some permethrin dust or spray, clean out the housing treat it and the bird.

He has had wry neck for about 3 weeks but he seems to be recovering. I have been giving him one vitamin e, Poultry Cell, and selenium daily. I don't think I will be able to put him back in the coop until spring. He will have to be integrated back into the flock. I have 2 BCM's and a Polish rooster. I will probably add some more Silkie hens for him. I will try the Permethrin dust since it is freezing. My garage is heated but only 50 degrees. Thank you.

I agree. Could they be grain mites? If you have cats just keep them away until the spray has dried and they will be ok. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg