Do i have mites or something else?

Di's Ladys

Chirping
Oct 14, 2018
I have a rooster in my garage because he is being treated for wry neck. There are very very tiny black bugs all over the wood and food holder. when I put my hand near the cage they are all over my hand. I can't find any on the rooster and his feathers are fine but i sprayed him and everything with Manna pro poultry spray. Two days later they are back. Since they are not on the chicken could they be something else besides mites?

I would say they are mites too.

I would get some permethrin dust or spray, clean out the housing treat it and the bird.
Do this in 7 day intervals.

How long has he had Wry Neck?
I agree. Could they be grain mites? If you have cats just keep them away until the spray has dried and they will be ok. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
Wondering why I can’t find any on the chicken but they jump all over me. Afraid to use permethrin because I have cats. Would Seven dust be ok?
7 dust has a synthetic version of permethrin in it. If you are worried about your birds having mites treat them with ivermectin pour on, and you can spray the coop with talstar p which is bifenthrin. Once it is completely dry it is safe for cats, dogs, chickens ect.. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I would get some permethrin dust or spray, clean out the housing treat it and the bird.

He has had wry neck for about 3 weeks but he seems to be recovering. I have been giving him one vitamin e, Poultry Cell, and selenium daily. I don't think I will be able to put him back in the coop until spring. He will have to be integrated back into the flock. I have 2 BCM's and a Polish rooster. I will probably add some more Silkie hens for him. I will try the Permethrin dust since it is freezing. My garage is heated but only 50 degrees. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom