Do i have oddball chickens? Sick chicken was never treated badly

Regina Larsen

Crowing
May 6, 2020
Long Island NY USDA zone 7
One of my JGs ended up with (mild thankfully) botulism (my fault!) at about 6 weeks old. She has since fully recovered after a lot of intensive TLC and is a stunning girl. Thankfully she fully trusts us after all that fuss.

I read so often of an ill bird being pushed out, pecked, etc. My girls did the opposite. Poor Wobbles was constantly falling over, even knocking into them - they did not mind a bit. She was first to the food (even in her one-sided shamble) and was never pushed out of the way.
The TLC involved vitamins and selenium PO and decadron taper IM, as well as some light PT. The other girls would circle around her when we went to pick her up (not afraid if us, but sort of covering her up) and would gather and watch the proceedings with hawk like intensity. Then when we out her back they would sort of circle around her again, things would get calm and then they would go back to doing whatever.

Is this common? Or do i have weird nurse-like chickens? (Im an RN maybe they caught nurse germs from me?)

Back
Top Bottom