do I have room for more???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jengro65, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I bought this ready made amish house for my birds. Its 6 X 4 with a nice roost and 5 nest boxes. The manufacturer says it holds 12-15 chickens. Right now I have 10 WLH hens and 1 Dom/Maran mix Rooster. They only sleep and lay eggs in the house. The rest of the day they seem to spend out in the 60 X 60 fenced in area I have for them. Do you think I can get some more hens? I'd hate to ruin the peace with over crowding but I'd love a few brown egg layers...maybe 4 or so more?

By jengro65 at 2011-08-06
  2. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Manufacturers almost always say coops can fit many more chickens than they should. 6x4 is 24 sq feet. The recommended square footage per chicken is 4 feet. This would mean you could only fit 6 birds. Considering how large your run is, 11 is probably fine, but I wouldn't add any more.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also wouldn't add more. What about when the weather is bad and they spend a lot more time in the coop? I'd sure hate to see you posting on here in a few months about hens pecking/cannibalizing each other due to overcrowding [​IMG]
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Nice house:) I would not add more.. 6 x 4 =24... 4sq ft per chicken minimum-gives you 6 chickens. You already have 12 in there-If that works for you and them -great... but adding more I'm sure would upset the peacefulness
  5. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Thanks everyone:) I'll wait till spring when I get another house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by