Do I have the right size!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rstampa, Sep 9, 2009.

1. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I have 6 standard pullets and one splash silkies. I am building a larger coop and this old bookshelf that I want to make a nest box out of.
    If I turn it on its side as I planed I would get 2 nest boxes out of it with the existing on existing self separating the two nest. Each box would be 13"L x18"H x12"D. And if I put a divider between the shelf and the two sides I would get 4 nest boxes out of it. However if I do the latter each box would be "13"L x 9"H x 12"D.
    I know it sounds a little confusing but if anyone know what I'm trying to convey makes scents to you then my question is. With 7 hens is two nest boxes ok and if I need to make it a 4 box is the height too short for them to want to use the boxes.
    Here's a rough sketch I made. I hope it is clear enough.

[​IMG]

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Chickens aren't as picky as we humans. I use this.

[​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    2 nest boxes should be enough for 7 hens if they are 1x12 or 16 I was told. I made mine 12x16 and placed a board across the bottom to make it more private and hold nesting material in

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, two nest boxes are plenty. Your plan sounds good.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Perfectly clear. Yes, I also agree. Two nest boxes for seven hens is plenty. If you turn it on its side and put something across the bottom to hold the eggs and nesting material in it will work great.

Or if you leave it upright so your nests are 18" wide x 12" deep and 13" high, you will have two "community" nesting boxes. You'd have room for two, probably three, hens to comfortably lay together in each box at the same time. Most hens seem to like to do that. You still need a strip across the bottom, probably 3" high, to keep the eggs and nesting material in the box. I'd feel comfortable with twelve hens using two nesting boxes this size in case you ever want to expand. Not that I am an enabler or would think that someone might want more chickens later.

Good luck. It will work either way.

6. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe the chickens STAND when laying an egg. I don't think 9'' will give them enough height to do that. Two community nest will work fine! I have the metal nesting boxes, but most only use a few of them, and some lay in a milk crate.

7. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I want to thank you all for your thoughts and good advise. I think I'll go with the two nest boxes right side up. I wasn't aware that they stood up when they lay their eggs. Thank you for that information. And I had planed on putting a scrip of wood across the bottom of the boxes.

[​IMG]
    God Bless you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by