Do I have this right? Starter + Oats = Grower?

Nutrena Nature makes a chick starter, a grower/finisher and a layer feed. The Coastal supply employee kept insisting I should be using layer at 6 weeks. I was very skeptical and when I called Nutrena, they confirmed that the information was wrong. Layer should not be fed until at least 20 weeks. They did not recommend their meatbird finisher. I too have found grower for layers not stocked in any of my local stores. One store was willing to order it, albeit at an increased cost for only a few bags.

I think I'll check out the pearsons square...

Quote:
Oh good. I'm going to try to make sense of it for converting my Purina Start and Grow one of these days. My oldest kids (16 of them) are still only 10 weeks old.

If you come up with an easy translation for a small flock, do let me know. I know the information is there, but I haven't tried to use it yet.

Susan

Fabulous.

According to that computation, I can very soon start diluting a 50# sack of Purina Start and Grow (18% protein) with a 50# sack of Oats (12% protein), and the chickens will be getting a diet that is 15% protein.....exactly what they should need form week 14 until they start laying.

And a whole lot cheaper !!!!

Cool!!!

Susan

Thank you all so much for this discussion! I have 29 chicks who are now at 8 weeks, heavy breeds, and have read the guidelines in Storey about starting to add oats until they are 20 weeks, then putting them on the lay rations. It made sense, but I really needed all the additional information you've got here.
Gratefully,
Lesha

Welcome, Lesha!
smile.png

I also mix Starter with oats because grower isn't avaible in this area. But I definitely don't go 50/50 for the same reasons Lazy J states in his post.
I think the Storey book is a bit off the mark on this.

spot

Back
Top Bottom