Do I have to choose one?

I ended up with WAY too many cockerals for the amount of hens I actually got out of my “started pullets” order. But I have most of the boys scheduled to be butchered. There is one really sweet submissive cockeral that I’d hate to butcher bc he is so sweet, but I have a Australorp that has already established dominance over the 9 hens I have(along with the other cockerals) Right now the submisssive guy is separated from everyone because he wasn’t going to make it with the other cockerals went after him when he was separated for a week (I never witnessed the Australorp go after him on reintroduction). I was hoping once the other 8 cockerals were gone I’d be able to reintroduce Fred (the submissive guy) to the group and him and the Australorp could keep their separate corners and live in peace.

IF I have to choose one or the other, would Fred be able to establish dominance over my hens at this point, I want to keep a rooster to keep my hens from turning on each other. I got them all the end of May and they were sold as 10-12 weeks old... my opinion is they were all closer to 6-8 weeks old.
He may be submissive because he is immature. Also if you remove the dominant roo he will step up and begin protecting. But if your dominant roo is young and he is a good provider/protector I would really think about eliminating him.

No you don’t but watch them carefully. Those spurrs will rip up dear Fred if your dominant roo feels threatened.
On a separate idea, some people who like Roos will set up a contained batchelor flock...

Why don't you just keep Fred and get rid of the other one? If you just have one the hens will take whats on the plate or go hungry so to speak. You really do stand a better chance of Fred being a nice rooster with just him being there and it will be easier on your ladies especially if yours are contained in a run. Just in my experience, two fellas contained with ladies dosen't work out. But in the end they are your birds so you'll have to make the choices.:)

I ended up with WAY too many cockerals for the amount of hens I actually got out of my “started pullets” order. But I have most of the boys scheduled to be butchered. There is one really sweet submissive cockeral that I’d hate to butcher bc he is so sweet, but I have a Australorp that has already established dominance over the 9 hens I have(along with the other cockerals) Right now the submisssive guy is separated from everyone because he wasn’t going to make it with the other cockerals went after him when he was separated for a week (I never witnessed the Australorp go after him on reintroduction). I was hoping once the other 8 cockerals were gone I’d be able to reintroduce Fred (the submissive guy) to the group and him and the Australorp could keep their separate corners and live in peace.

IF I have to choose one or the other, would Fred be able to establish dominance over my hens at this point, I want to keep a rooster to keep my hens from turning on each other. I got them all the end of May and they were sold as 10-12 weeks old... my opinion is they were all closer to 6-8 weeks old.
I am so sorry about your dilemma! I actually have a similar problem over here. While I don’t have any good advice for you, I wish you good luck during this decision. I will pray for yal!

It really is .... You need to understand those with experience & knowledge are "practical" in chicken keeping. They do care for their chickens & do have sound advice. :hugs
I understand but, I am very frustrate with my situation and was genuinely asking for help, that other persons response didn’t answer any of the questions in my first post and came across not so practical as very condescendig.

Why don't you just keep Fred and get rid of the other one? If you just have one the hens will take whats on the plate or go hungry so to speak. You really do stand a better chance of Fred being a nice rooster with just him being there and it will be easier on your ladies especially if yours are contained in a run. Just in my experience, two fellas contained with ladies dosen't work out. But in the end they are your birds so you'll have to make the choices.:)
I think that’s what I’m going to do. They were all purchased about the same age so he should come into his maturity quick once he’s able to move about and eat/drink freely with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom