Do I have to cull a meatie? Leg problem

gckiddhouse

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Desert Hills, AZ
About day 2 of our first meat bird project, a friend of dd came to the house to see the cute little chicks and dropped one. Ugh! It acted like it was hurt (leg) but I couldn't detect a break or any swelling. I figured I would let it be a few days and see if it got better. Well, It seemed like it was getting better. It was walking with a slight limp, but that has progressed. It now has its leg spralled out to the side. Often it puts its knee down. The leg is twisted and he really can't get around very well. He doesn't seem to be in pain or fuss when I touch the leg or move it around. I tried to splint it, that didn't work.

Do I have to cull this bird that will be butchered in about 4 weeks? I know he is going to be growing fast and won't be able to walk at all. It just seems a waste to kill this bird. I am so mad about that girl dropping it.

Any ideas? I guess writing this has made me realize what i have to do. Nuts!

If you can keep it clean in the meat pen, I'd try and grow it out to at least cornish game hen size before butchering. But of course, if it looks like it just can't "make it", I'd take it out sooner as to not "waste" feed on growing up a bird which might not make it to the end.

I agree- keep it around and see how it goes. Depending on how many birds you have and how much time/effort you're willing to spend, you could even isolate it. Personally, I'd let a bird limp before I culled. I don't cull unless they can't walk.

Well, it seems to get around alright. It just sits down a lot. It sure eats! It is growing. It really doesn't seem to be in pain, although I can't imagine it is comfortable.
I guess I will leave it and see for now. Thanks for the advice. I didn't expect those answers. Guess I am used to the other threads, ya know.

Back
Top Bottom