Do I have to let go of my Shamo? :’(

A lot of what you are describing is normal chicken behavior. It may just be amplified by the Shamo’s size and natural abilities. Especially with the smaller ornamental breeds that you have her in with. Kind of along the lines of a larger, working breed of dog interacting with a non-sporting breed.
Thank you, I had this thought last night too… Just like some dog breeds are known to be aggressive to others, it doesn’t necessarily make it true in every case. Hope the same is true for chickens! I’ve heard of some chickens from usually docile breeds being aggressive so maybe it depends more on the individual’s personality as much as the breed 🤷🏼‍♀️🙂

Are your birds able to be in that run all the time? Is it predator proof? If yes, you have enough room, if not, your coop is maxed out for your twelve birds already.
Individuals do have different personalities, but some breeds and families have a higher % of one personality type or another.
Salmon Favorelles tend to be timid, not pushy, and don't mesh well with pushy hatchery RIRs, for example. Can't think that having a Shamo would go well with SFs either!
Mary

I think your shamo is just working out the pecking order, but considering that shamo were built to be fighting birds I don't think you should expect your shamo to be very friendly with them at all, he might always be a bit mean to them until the pecking order works out

Thank you, I had this thought last night too… Just like some dog breeds are known to be aggressive to others, it doesn’t necessarily make it true in every case. Hope the same is true for chickens! I’ve heard of some chickens from usually docile breeds being aggressive so maybe it depends more on the individual’s personality as much as the breed 🤷🏼‍♀️🙂

How is your shamo doing now?

How is your shamo doing now?
Very well, actually! I kept her (and her sister) with my flock and they have been getting along with everyone else for the most part. I am so glad I kept them.
Blu, my favorite girl - the one this post was about originally - still tends to peck on others now and then, as she’s definitely head hen.
I will say, I did have an incident last month where my Brahma rooster quickly fell ill (unknown cause), and before I could separate him to a quarantine area, Blu essentially picked him off (I know it was her because she was bloody, even though hens don’t typically behave this way). He was in such bad condition from being pecked, sadly I had to cull him. Other than this freak incident, neither Shamo has ever drawn blood from another flock mate. I don’t think it was out of malice, I believe she just acted out of instinct as the leader to protect the flock from disease.

All in all, I am so thankful I didn’t give up my Shamos, but I wouldn’t get them again knowing what I know now just because of how risky it could be.

Back
Top Bottom