Do I (have to) move her?

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
I have a broody EE pullet sitting on one egg. She's been setting about a week, and her egg is developing nicely. She's been taking care of herself, too, drinking water and eating. The only problem is that she is nesting about four feet from the floor (in that top box).

80987_img_9480.jpg
80987_img_0725.jpg

I'm all in favor of trusting her instincts and letting her do her thing, but I've never been through this before. None of the other girls are messing with her because only a few are even laying and that has slowed down. But I am concerned about the chick falling down, and I am concerned that the flock might peck the chick if she isn't a tough mama.

So, I've been considering putting her into a wire cage with a little nest (ETA: inside the coop) and leaving the door open for her to come and go until her hatch. I am concerned, however, that she might be upset by the change and abandon the little egg, which would leave me with a single developing egg that I'd have to stick in the incubator.

What do I do? Trust in her ability to deal and the chick's resilience and leave her where she is or move her and risk the little embryo's well-being?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
x2 on both..let her be for now..maybe once the chick is wanting out more...

I am sooo having my hubby look at your nest boxes!

And have to ask, what are those originally for? Do they come to stack like that?

Last edited:
Thanks!
big_smile.png
At first I was thinking that they might not be tall enough, but the second from the bottom and the top are the two favorites.

She's been doing a good job so far, even with the nights coming down into the 20s. I tend to err on the side of just trusting nature, but life in a coop is already artificial, so
hu.gif
. Let's see what others think.

pop.gif

Last edited:
Once the egg hatches, you can move them both to the ground. She won't be in a huge hurry to vacate the nest, usually takes about 2 days from the time the first chick hatches to the time she gets up off the nest. Even if you misjudge and the chick falls from that height; 4 feet is not too far for them to fall, just pile up plenty of shavings around the base of the nests to provide cushion, just in case. Have you ever seen that hatchery video of the workers sexing and sorting baby chicks? They throw them down the chutes!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!

They were just in the storage section of Big Lots for $3 apiece earlier this fall. They are something like 'plastic stacking storage bins,' if you are going to do a search. They snap together. I had seen similar bins at Lowes for $9 earlier in the trash can/recycling bin/storage area. They have worked pretty well. I did screw the top bin into the wall behind and the stud beside it so that the whole thing didn't topple over with the girls' weight.

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks. That is great information and makes a lot of sense. (And - no, I haven't seen that video! Yikes!)

It seems that this is the consensus. I'll just let Olive do her thing.
Thanks, everyone!!!
grouphug.gif

they are available in office supplies... a lot of people use the on desks for in/outs, can also find them in home office/student supplies at most wally worlds. Yes they stack that way too. I would have never thought of it. Think I might give it a try also!

Back
Top Bottom