do i have to pluck?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Leah S, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    hi all! I am planning on skinning my bird before cooking it. DO I still have to pluck it, or can I skin it? would love to know if i can save myself oodles of time. Thanks!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

You certainly can skin without plucking!

3. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    thanks! seems like i spend so much time plucking.

4. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    the featers grow out of the skin like our hair if you skin the bird it wont take as long repare the bird

5. Working Dog Doc

Working Dog Doc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Missouri
    Remember though, if you are cooking them on the grill or in the oven, the skin offers natural protection from scorching or overheating. This is especially true with pastured birds who don't take as long to cook.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We've skinned out last few batches. It's really easier, but truthfully I wish we'd plucked at least some. As stated, the skin is needed for a nice roast bird. Skinless you need to crockpot or pressure cook. If you try to bake/roast/grill, they dry out too much.

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I have skinned them in the past and really regretted even bothering to raise them. I did NOT enjoy the meat that much. Yes, it's easier, but I raise them to have better tasting chicken, not tasteless chicken that costs more and involves much more work.

Invest in a plucker and make sure you get a good scald (145 to 150 degrees until the wing feathers pull loose easily) and it's really not that bad. You can make a drill-mounted plucker for under $10.

8. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Well snag...the next question is how to make a drill mounted plucker....have to be a cordless drill, I am 73 and a lady so will have to have this made.....How to? Thank you. We raise our chickens as you do for meat am ready to start processing the "old" girls, I really have to put my heart in hiding because I love my chickens, tell myself they are NOT pets but FOOD....it sure helps...seeing the Pee Peeps we have running around makes all the difference in the world...Thank you for your help....

9. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Want to add....are you butchering Roosters too. I have 3 ready to process, skin or pluck?

10. jamesk53

jamesk53 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I've skinned birds that I've raised and the meat has still been tremendous. Haven't you eve bought boneless skinless chicken breast? Same concept. I actually will take most of the birds I raise and section then out and have packets of things, legs, wings and breasts. It makes the chicken we freeze feel a lot more like we the process we are used to with buying from the store. Seems like people don't buy whole chickens as often from the store. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by