Do I have to provide them with bugs through the snowy winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MotherHenInMass, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MotherHenInMass

MotherHenInMass Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm new to this whole chicken thing and I see people posting about deliberately growing mealworms. I've always tried to avoid the little creatures, though I realize my girls' may feel differently on the subject. I'm just wondering if I'll be depriving them if I don't go down that path? I have 6 black sex-link hens and this is their first winter too. Here's a picture of one of my hens checking out the strange white stuff for the very first time.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    You don't have to, but they will love you for it. You can buy freeze dried ones if you don't want to mess with farming them.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I suspect that they will be fine without supplemental bugs. Those who live where there are no winter weeds probably don't have problems with the chickens not having supplemental greens in winter.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  4. MotherHenInMass

Sep 21, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Where do you get the freeze dried ones? I go to Agway near me to get feed and shavings. Perhaps they have them - or do people buy them online?

5. MotherHenInMass

Sep 21, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm not sure I'm following your logic? Sorry if I'm being dense.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No you don't have to provide bugs.

If you are concerned about protein intake you can offer meat scraps, scrambled eggs, higher protein feed such as Flock Raiser during molt, etc.

7. MotherHenInMass

Sep 21, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you! [​IMG]

8. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Scrambled eggs, good idea! Thanks! I was just wondering this myself. I bought a few tubs of the freeze dried worms a while back but man.....$$$$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by