1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I have to wash the egg shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mikeh**63, Sep 3, 2011.

1. mikeh**63

mikeh**63 New Egg

Sep 3, 2011
    A friend gives me eggs from their chickens. My wife won't eat them as she doesn't know how they were washed. Is washing or cleaning the eggs necessary? Mikeh**63

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We do not wash our eggs unless a customer (we have 2 out of many) requests we do it for them or if there is visible waste on it for some reason. They will keep longer not washed as the hen puts a coating on them when laid to help protect them. If she would like them washed you can do it before using....

Edit to fix spelling yet again [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Virtually 100% of the eggs sold in stores are washed, of course. They last 5-8 weeks in the food chain distribution system.

Washing is only necessary if the customer wishes to receive spotlessly clean eggs. ALL my customers are such people. We rarely wash the eggs we eat ourselves, unless, as southerndesert says, there is an obvious mess on them.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    We only wash them if they have waste on them also, but I do wash them just before using them.

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Dont wash mine until right before I use them, sometimes not even then. My girls never lay outside the box and I have only had one with any mess on it.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I only wash mine on those rare instances that there is mess on them. I don't sell many but so far haven't been asked to wash them.

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I've never washed an egg, but then again our eggs have always been spotless. If they're very dirty, wash them.

8. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    we never wash ours only if it is covered in poop.

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    If the birds are kept clean then the eggs should be clean. I will wipe dirt/poo off an egg with a damp cloth if it needs it.

My friend got salmanella from a tiny piece of eggshell breaking off into the egg contents. Now she pours boiling water over them just before breaking them open to kill any bacteria on the sehell. Only if she plans on making them with runny yokes or into a mousse (aka not cooking them 'properly'). If you are going to cook the eggs thoroughly I would not worry about it as the high heat should kill any bacteria.

10. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    all you have to do is wash them off in the sink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by