Do I hear crowing????

LeghornLisa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Please help...I have 6 18 wk old pullets, or what are supposed to be pullets. 2 cochins, 2 silkies and 2 BO's. I swear I heard one of them crowing this morning
sad.png
I ran to the coop like a crazy lady and it stopped. This chicken thing is new to me and these chicks are from McMurray Hatchery. The order was for all girls...how do I tell crowing from different noises they will make when they are getting ready to lay an egg? I read somewhere that they will sing the "egg song" or do the "egg squat" before they start to lay. If it is crowing, wouldn't he be crowing through out the day and not be so quiet?

I think at 18 weeks you should be able to tell if you have a rooster. One of my roosters started to make crowing sounds at around 7 weeks. Do the pullets/rooster all look the same? Take some pictures and post them, you should have an answer real quick from one of the pros on this sight. Good luck and keep listening. I purchased all pullets and ended up with a really pretty rooster.

My roo only crows in the morning, but many crow throughout the day. Do you have pictures of your flock? One of the experienced members might be able to tell if you have any boys on your hands.

My roo goes "Erk-a-doo" and my laying hens go "bok-bok-bok-bok-BAGAWK". One of my hens sang the egg song 2 weeks before she laid and I came runnning! Keep an ear out... if it is a roo you will definately hear it again, and again, and again! OR it could just be that one of your birds got startled or angry and was very vocal about it, too.

I hope they're all girls!

At 18 weeks you should have heard crowing a long time before that if one of yours is a cockeral.

If you can post some pics in the "What breed or Gender" forum someone will be able to let you know if you have a cockeral or a pullet acking like a Roo.

Back
Top Bottom