Do I help it?

In your video I can see the egg in the back moving, he's getting ready to escape. He will probably make it before this one with the crack but I don't see anything wrong with him yet, so again, I wouldn't intervee just yet...

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to look at our eggcam and give thoughts what you actually saw. We are leaving him for now.

Quote:
Actually.. that's not true.. sure there are occasions where there is something wrong with a chick such as a deformity.. but MANY times it's something as simple as a chick who made a large pip and waited too long to finish hatching.. then was unable to hatch simply because the membrane became too tough for it to break through.. over the years I have helped a lot of chicks hatch and i hardly ever lose a chick (I've been hatching out chicks all my life and I'm 51.. so I have had hundreds of hatches.. plus assisted friends and neighbors when their hatches have gone bad)
Sure an inexperienced person who has no clue what they are doing stands a good chance of losing the chick because of lack of knowledge.. however the vast majority of chicks CAN be saved if they are willing to follow instructions as to how to help the chicks hatch
As to whether a person should or should not assist a hatch.. that's entirely up to that person.. after all it's their eggs and their skill they have to contend with.. however I personally refuse to sit by and watch one of mine have problems hatching if the chick is simply too weak from struggling..

so to say that "most of the times it does not turn out well" is far from accurate

No problem. take a look at the Brown egg in the back, It's cracked and you can see his beak as well, he's in the sam exact position as this one you are focused on... HA HA HA happy Hatching. Here THEY COME.....

Quote:
We have those two and two others with small pips... I have my eye on that brown one too as he got turned over by the one lone hatchling from today. Tomorrow is day 21on the nose so I have a feeling it will be busy documenting hatchings.

mine took 72 hours...
pop.gif
settle in for the show

There have been many great suggestions and there is no one right answer.

I personally think about helping 24 hours after pipping if the chick hasn't started zipping. I also have helped once when one chick zipped halfway and then made no progress for a long period of time (the chick had managed to turned itself around in the shell).

So far all of my chicks are doing well and the only fatality I have had was a chick that had hatched on it's own.

Edited to add: I now always make sure that there are no other pips when I help. My first hatch I opened it when there were other pips and that just started a horrible cycle of shrink wrapped chicks (I had to try and help a dying chick.)

BTW, Very cool view of the pipped chick!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you... I think the camera froze over nite though. :eek:( I woke up to it being down and stuck on the image of the chick hatching. We had two hatch last nite the brown one that was mentioned here and another brown one. I have one more about to hatch this AM and the one still stuck in it's shell chirping away. I think we may attempt to help it today I'll search the forum for threads on what to do, it's been like this for 24 hours now I don't want it to die without us trying. I know some will say that's nature but it's not nature to incubate eggs in your house for 21 days and watch them hatch.. at least not to me.

On a sad note I think the one chick may die the area around it's egg was all brown and it's laying listless in a corner, the other two chicks are off on the other side hanging out together.

Back
Top Bottom