Do I keep the light on all night long??

HaileyandJoliesMom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
My babies arrived today, they hatched Wednesday so they are 3 days old. The brooder is at 95.3, do I keep the light on all night long? If so when do I start to turn it off?

Its a white light, not a red. Unforunately I sent my husband to buy it and he grabbed white.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

First of all i would lower the temp by raising the light, 95.3 is too hot, you want it at 90 for a week, and then take it down a little at a time, also do not turn the light off at night untill they feather out, also make sure if it does get too hot in there they can get out of the way of the light and not cook up,

OOPS I was going by the info mypetchicken.com, which said to leave it at 95 for the first week.

The light is at one end of the brooder, most of the babies are hanging out in the middle chasing each other around. The brooder is 3 x 2 so they have lots of space, I actually considered adding a 2nd heat light since it is so large.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Leave the light on all night. White light is not a problem. Red just tends to make specks and different things less visible so the chicks peck each other less. If you have enough space for the chicks that shouldn't be a problem.

95 isn't too hot. That's usually the suggested to start at for 1 week old chicks. If they aren't hanging out in the light much at all you could raise the light though. It can be highly variable so you need to watch your chicks specifically and just use the numbers as a rough guide. I started with mine at 102F for the first couple days because they were actually crowded together shivering at less but they were down to 80F by 3weeks without a problem. Currently mine is at 95F and I'm hatching right now.

Last edited:
Thanks Akane, They are certaintly not huddled together, but also arent panting or acting as if its to warm in there. I checked on them all night long, Im sure I drove them crazy but I was so worried. LOL Goodluck with your hatch!!!

Last edited:
Here is what I did. Depending where you live, I live in Arkansas, I took a 60 watt light bulb and spray painted red and used that . It was 80 to 90- degrees and they did not need the heat. Within a week of two I had a red light bulb that I bought at the hardware store that is called a party light and it is only 25 watts. I use that all nigt long for them now and I shut it off during the day. Mine are 8, 12 and 18 weeks old now though but I have 19 more coming on the 11 th of September. It will most likely still be very warm so I will not need a light in the day for them as the coop is bright in the day and just use the red bulb at night for them. Trudy

Last edited:
My first batch didn't need that much heat but I just had to drop my 100w light bulb because they were huddled on top of each other despite the thermometer saying 95F.

They are not really spending much time near the light but Im afraid if I move it any higher they might get cold, so I guess we will wait and see. Some of them stay closer to the light but not huddled or shivering. While others stay on the other end but not panting at all.
Silly Chickies

Back
Top Bottom