1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I move the water??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlebirdoz, May 26, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    So my coop has a run on the side and beneath. I have been moving the water and food out in the morning and back in in the evening. I am wondering if I really need to do this. I like to put them in the coop with the door closed because of the coons. (btw do opossums kill chickens too or just hawks and coons?). I guess I am wondering if the food and water can stay out side in the night where they cant get to it or should I keep moving it.
    Rebekah:confused:

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How old are your chicks? My chickens have no water in the coop.They have access all day long until they go in.Sometimes if it's going to be hot all night I'll put the waterer in the coop but mostly no.I do leave food 24/7. I got tired of the water getting slopped onto the floor of the coop whenever they got riled up or pushy so I decided to only give it outside.They lay very well and it doesn't seem to bother them at all.JMO
    ETA: Just realized your other question...the answer is...EVERYTHING KILLS CHICKENS. To name a few....Raccoons,hawks,owls,fox,coyote,dogs,cats,cougar,martens,possum,eagles,....you get the point [​IMG]
    If you leave the food outside...you are inviting rodents and predators to your chickens space...I would suggest leaving it IN the coop.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I am planning on having a raised coop with run extending underneath and on the sides. I am going to use the nipple waterers on the inside as well as in the run. I don't think I would leave the food outside at night... to attractive to predators (why advertise?) If hungry enough, anything will kill a chicken.

4. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    No you don't need to. They don't eat at night anyways unless you have a light on & they are awake moving around because of it.

5. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Thanks for your responses. To answer the chickens are about 8 weeks old. Ok so everything will eat them. Got it! I will move the food inside. They make a big mess with the water I guess I will just leave that.
    Thanks again.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by