Do I need a brooder or not?

Caged Hen

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 12, 2013
piedmont of North Carolina
Hi! I have been reading Backyard Chickens for months and have just joined. My question is whether or not I need a brooder? My order for 12 week old started pullets from a local grower has been thwarted for the second time (quite unprofessional)! I can currently get the breeds I wanted between 2 and 6 weeks of age. Here in central NC the lows are in the upper 60s to low 70s and the highs are in the 80s and 90s. I figure the 5 and 6 week old chicks will be OK and maybe even fully feathered. What about the younger ones? I don't want to compromise their health but I don't have a brooder. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I live in nc. My chicks have been happy outside at 4 weeks. You should be fine without brooder. I have chickens from 3 years to 3 days old.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. These will be my first chickens and I am so looking forward to having them. The coop and run are built with mostly reused materials; eventually I will post pictures.

Just make sure your fencing is small enough they can't squeeze through. I have 5 coop/pens and have maybe $100 in all 5. All I use is old lumber I have around and any metal roofing I could get from others for free. The chicken wire / hardware cloth is the expense. But with the temps now ur good. Enjoy those chickens. Hard to believe how addictive they can be.

Back
Top Bottom