Do I need a covered run?

About to finish coop and run. I'm using bird netting over my chain link fence run with a predator apron. My coop is very secure, so I assume that since my birds will be ina coop at night, that the bird netting should suffice since the fence is 4ft tall and besides a bear, I don't believe there are any other daytime predators besides aerial's. And if a bear gets involved I don't think most of us have a coop or run built for that. 😀

The bird netting is likely not strong enough to deter a really hungry raccoon. They don't only come out at night. But if you, like me, are not worried about bears then you're probably not worried about really hungry raccoons so it should be fine.
Saw a raccoon just last night. My coop is super secure. And as far as bears are concerned I see a couple every year or so. Opened up my front door and saw a bear 20 ft in front of it last summer. I backed in and he slowly walked away and I shut the door. We basically live on a 100ft x 100ft clearing in the woods that we had done. Got a pair of great horned owls that live in our woods and harris hawks as well as red tail hawks we see all the time.

Wow, that's wonderful! I always appreciate it when people build a secure coop to protect their chickens instead of killing the wildlife.
I've always been of the opinion that you kill something only in defense of life, limb, or property. Or if I plan on eating it. But both don't have to be exclusive.....trespassers beware😁

Saw a raccoon just last night. My coop is super secure. And as far as bears are concerned I see a couple every year or so. Opened up my front door and saw a bear 20 ft in front of it last summer. I backed in and he slowly walked away and I shut the door. We basically live on a 100ft x 100ft clearing in the woods that we had done. Got a pair of great horned owls that live in our woods and harris hawks as well as red tail hawks we see all the time.
Wow, that's wonderful! I always appreciate it when people build a secure coop to protect their chickens instead of killing the wildlife.

That poultry netting won’t stop a raccoon, and they do come out during the day. It probably wouldn’t stop a determined fox either. My runs are covered with 2x4” welded wire.
I wasn't sure if the OP was talking about poultry netting (aka chicken wire, made of metal) or bird netting (made of plastic or rope). Either one won't keep a raccoon out anyway.

I feel better knowing I don't have bears in my woods. Holy cow

Back
Top Bottom