Do I need a heat lamp?

Little Ant

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
I just got 4 baby Rhode Island reds that are about 1 week old. The man at the feed store told me that I wouldn't need a heat lamp as we live in florida. He said just to put them in a room away from drafts and to close off the air conditioning vents in that room. Now its late and I'm not sure if the babies are too cold. I am reading that at 1 week they should be like 90 degrees. It is more like 77-80 in the room.
I tried putting another lamp (not a heat lamp) near them but it is really not keeping them much warmer and I don't think they'll sleep with the light on. I can try to buy a real heat lamp in the a.m. but will they be ok tonight?

a heating pad might get you through the night, some others might have some constructive advise that might help. i see they are about 1 week old dont know what you are keeping them in.a small box that would help retain heat might be good also.

I know when I was raising orphaned opossum babies I would fill bottles with hot water and wrap them in a towel. Not sure of this would work with chicks?

Edit to say, I meant this as an emergency measure to get through the night.

Last edited:
I put a 75 watt bulb in a gooseneck lamp and bent it over to shine right over the box. It makes one area of the box warmer than the rest. They ended up hanging out at that end but they aren't huddling together or acting cold so I think they are alright. Some are not even laying as close to the light as they could and they seem content. Perhaps they are a little older than I thought. I am only going by what they guy at the feed store told me and he's the one who said they didn't need a lamp so who knows. Thanks everyone for the info. It was an interesting first night.

I have 4 brooders right now. I have 1 large water tank and two storage tubs with heat lamps. My 4th one is just a box with a gooseneck desk lamp bent over it for my tiny little silkies. I have used that set up before. It works fine until they get too big for the box.

They seem to be fine. They are all moving around and eating and drinking fine, etc. I will have to take some pics this evening and upload them. Maybe someone can tell me if they look older than a week.

Back
Top Bottom