Do I need a heater?

JamesZ

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2020
Dallas, TX
This will be my first winter with chickens. I live in Dallas where we get maybe 2-4 hard freezes a year. I didn't think that it would be an issue for the chickens, but as it's starting to get colder I figured it would be good to get some advice. Will they be okay or should I get some sort of heater? Are there any other precautions I should consider? Their water source is a large rectangular bucket that they can stand in/drink from, so I'm not too concerned about it freezing over and can monitor it if it gets that cold.

they'll be alright if theyer mature .. you'll need food and water in the coop if its snows them in lol .. if it was that bad i'd probably put them a heat lamp in there ..

This will be my first winter with chickens. I live in Dallas where we get maybe 2-4 hard freezes a year. I didn't think that it would be an issue for the chickens, but as it's starting to get colder I figured it would be good to get some advice. Will they be okay or should I get some sort of heater? Are there any other precautions I should consider? Their water source is a large rectangular bucket that they can stand in/drink from, so I'm not too concerned about it freezing over and can monitor it if it gets that cold.

Run your hand under a wing. Warm under there eh? Run your hand under a nesting bird. Warm/slightly hot under there. Right? Chickens run at 106F. They keep themselves warm. As Sourland said above keep them dry and you're all set. No frost on the walls. I put a plastic gallon jug in my coop. If it's not frozen in the morning I'm good to go. As you can see I live in Maine. -20- -30 F. many nights.

Thanks. 2 of them are 16 weeks old. Should I wait to get more pullets (5 week olds)? I've been actively trying to get some more through my supplier once they become available. Will they be able to withstand the chilly 30 degree Dallas winter weather?

Snow isn't an issue. In Dallas it snows every other year, the kids get out of school if they're still in school and by noon its all melted.

The coop itself is dry and covered, but is completely surrounded with wire mesh, so it sounds like I may need to add some coverings for the cold fronts.

Thanks. 2 of them are 16 weeks old. Should I wait to get more pullets (5 week olds)? I've been actively trying to get some more through my supplier once they become available. Will they be able to withstand the chilly 30 degree Dallas winter weather?

Snow isn't an issue. In Dallas it snows every other year, the kids get out of school if they're still in school and by noon its all melted.

The coop itself is dry and covered, but is completely surrounded with wire mesh, so it sounds like I may need to add some coverings for the cold fronts.

What about ventilation? Dry birds are warm birds.

Pics of your set up?

I have 7 and 8 week olds in a coop with no adult birds with them right now. I AM running heat for them but we have just had 2 nights of around zero and a day of highs barely in the mid teens. Tomorrow morning we MIGHT be 15° in the morning.

None of my adult birds get added heat....not even my elderly bantams.

Run your hand under a wing. Warm under there eh? Run your hand under a nesting bird. Warm/slightly hot under there. Right? Chickens run at 106F. They keep themselves warm. As Sourland said above keep them dry and you're all set. No frost on the walls. I put a plastic gallon jug in my coop. If it's not frozen in the morning I'm good to go. As you can see I live in Maine. -20- -30 F. many nights.

Their coop is dry, but they are free to roam their large enclosure which is open to rain.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_181204.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181204.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200601_181147.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181147.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom