Do I need a heater?

I saw your pics. Is that run predator proof?

Yes, all of the borders go down at least a foot, and the top is all wire with wood borders. The only predators that we have around here are coyotes which live in the neighboring nature preserve, but there's no way that they can get in. We have some large birds too since I'm near streams, but they're completely enclosed, so they're safe, but still get concerned when they hear a large bird. The gate handle is round so that raccoons/other animals can't open it. It's pretty much chicken Fort Knox.

Yes, all of the borders go down at least a foot, and the top is all wire with wood borders. The only predators that we have around here are coyotes which live in the neighboring nature preserve, but there's no way that they can get in. We have some large birds too since I'm near streams, but they're completely enclosed, so they're safe, but still get concerned when they hear a large bird. The gate handle is round so that raccoons/other animals can't open it. It's pretty much chicken Fort Knox.
Ok. Sounds good. I guess I am OCD but I'd still coop them up at night. I'd say IMHO you should but if I have an opinion it's probably not humble. KWIM.

Ok. Sounds good. I guess I am OCD but I'd still coop them up at night. I'd say IMHO you should but if I have an opinion it's probably not humble. KWIM.

If I coop them up then they'll just yell at me until I let them out. I'm confident that it will keep everything out except for mice.

@007Sean and I both grew up in the DFW area back in the dark ages. I wouldn't suggest any needed changes to your setup here myself. Just keep an eye that the water never freezes. No red tail hawk could dive bomb into that little space to attack your mature hens. Leaving coyote, bobcats, cougars, raccoon, and possum as only potential predators. If they are up in their enclosed roosting area at night those all seem a non issue. Good job!

Last edited:
Do they have roosts in that run. Where do they lay eggs. Seen any rats with your feed set up?

There are 2 wooden bars in the picture where they roost, and at the end is a nesting box which I will probably modify at some point to accommodate more chickens. Rats have been an issue. The pictures that I posted are old; the PVC pipe was closing a gap which let in squirrels and rats, but has since been bricked up with a new walkway. I haven't seen any rats since then. The plastic clamp traps on Amazon are useless. The first night, a rat literally stole one of the traps. As in, it somehow clamped onto the rat and the rat had to climb over the fence with it.

There are 2 wooden bars in the picture where they roost, and at the end is a nesting box which I will probably modify at some point to accommodate more chickens. Rats have been an issue. The pictures that I posted are old; the PVC pipe was closing a gap which let in squirrels and rats, but has since been bricked up with a new walkway. I haven't seen any rats since then. The plastic clamp traps on Amazon are useless. The first night, a rat literally stole one of the traps. As in, it somehow clamped onto the rat and the rat had to climb over the fence with it.
Well I'm "lucky" here in Maine when I trap I use all the snow to bank the trap. It's not going any where. If you've had kids, remember when they were about 2 years old. They fussed and carried on about going to bed but they got over it. So will your chickens but I don't think they'll ever be more than 3 years old. LOL

Back
Top Bottom