Do I need a red light?

No need for a heat lamp if you are using a brooder plate like that. You will just need a generic light bulb so they can see. It can be white - no need for red.

I would agree with this!~

I don't really know anyone trying to do both.

Plus, you are almost at the age where they might not need it soon.

I recently had a heat lamp explode. It was not fun and scary. So I'm inclined to think the danger of them to be real.

Some people also suggested to me a few months ago when asking the same question to try an electric blanket instead (water resistant type).

I have a swamp cooler and the gusts blowing out of that thing made it difficult for me to keep the temp regulated with the lamp. If the cooler was on the lamp seemed to work it's magic. When the swamp cooler was off, the chicks seemed to hide from the lamp because it was too warm. We were moving the lamp up and down and away and close. It was just getting to be cumbersome. My chicks are atop my dining room table and for me the brooding plate seems to have solved these issues. So, I am not lamp adverse. I am keeping that for sure. I just needed an alternative and the brooding plate works nicely. Next year, I plan to raise chicks again, but in an area of the house that is not subject to the swamp cooler gusts! We are just doing some painting and such in the back of the house so my dining room is our chick nursery this year.

I have a swamp cooler and the gusts blowing out of that thing made it difficult for me to keep the temp regulated with the lamp. If the cooler was on the lamp seemed to work it's magic. When the swamp cooler was off, the chicks seemed to hide from the lamp because it was too warm. We were moving the lamp up and down and away and close. It was just getting to be cumbersome. My chicks are atop my dining room table and for me the brooding plate seems to have solved these issues. So, I am not lamp adverse. I am keeping that for sure. I just needed an alternative and the brooding plate works nicely. Next year, I plan to raise chicks again, but in an area of the house that is not subject to the swamp cooler gusts! We are just doing some painting and such in the back of the house so my dining room is our chick nursery this year.
Gotcha I use an old shipping crate best thing I ever got

Attachments

• 20200812_180653.jpg
    20200812_180653.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20200813_100836(1).jpeg
    Resized_20200813_100836(1).jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 6
I've just switched to using infra-red heat lamps instead of light bulbs. It is so much better! The chicks sleep at night when they should be and are awake during the day, eating and growing. I highly recommend these! They are advertised for use with pet reptiles and are inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom