Do I NEED a roo?

I had a hoot owl break into a Coop yesterday, the rooster fought and lost his life...all my hens are still alive. I strongly urge you to have a rooster, I have driven 50 miles for a couple
My unfortunate experience with roosters defending the flock has been that (apparently, because I have never witnessed it so I'm guessing) the rooster gets taken first, and then the predator comes back and finishes its meal with hens. A rooster can be a help, but should not be considered the only line of defense. For those who don't wish to free range, but have a large fenced area, I would suggest also putting up electric fence. Put something over the top of a small run to keep aerial predators at bay. For free ranging, make sure they have plenty of cover.

It's a personal choice. I just love having a few cockbirds in my flock! Polite, beautiful boys, who complete the flock, and make it possible to raise chicks right here, with broody hens.
It means learning more about chicken behavior, and being willing to raise those boys carefully, and cull the rejects.
Mary

It's a personal choice. I just love having a few cockbirds in my flock! Polite, beautiful boys, who complete the flock, and make it possible to raise chicks right here, with broody hens.
It means learning more about chicken behavior, and being willing to raise those boys carefully, and cull the rejects.
Mary
A good rooster is a joy to have. And by "good", I mean one that will mind his own business and keep out of my space. One that tidbits for the hens, and will watch over the chicks. I love those kinds of roosters!

I just reread your first two posts. If you are in a suburb, roosters may not even be allowed. (Have you checked your city codes to see if you can have chickens at all?) Allowed or not, you do have close neighbors to take into consideration.

My unfortunate experience with roosters defending the flock has been that (apparently, because I have never witnessed it so I'm guessing) the rooster gets taken first, and then the predator comes back and finishes its meal with hens. A rooster can be a help, but should not be considered the only line of defense. For those who don't wish to free range, but have a large fenced area, I would suggest also putting up electric fence. Put something over the top of a small run to keep aerial predators at bay. For free ranging, make sure they have plenty of cover.
It is illegal to kill the owls ... I don't think it will be returning though and we will leave at that hehehehe

I just want to watch them, give treats, and have them as pets. I can remember being a little girl going to my grandmas run and picking grass for the chickens. I would dig worms to watch them run with them. The eggs are frosting on the cake to me. I just want the amusement of them. They won’t be free range out of a run because I live in a suburb. I will move their run when all the grass and stuff is gone.
I have a roo for fertilizing eggs but we went with his son because he wont fight humans

A mature rooster should fertilize most or all of the hens; how many depends on him. Older roosters do loose fertility, and older hens don't lay as many eggs.
You have to crack the eggs to see if they are fertile or not, so when you plan to set eggs you will already know how many (%) are likely to grow.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom