Do I NEED a roo?

I just want to watch them, give treats, and have them as pets. I can remember being a little girl going to my grandmas run and picking grass for the chickens. I would dig worms to watch them run with them. The eggs are frosting on the cake to me. I just want the amusement of them. They won’t be free range out of a run because I live in a suburb. I will move their run when all the grass and stuff is gone.
You don't really need a rooster, especially if you live in the suburbs. You may not be allowed one base on that alone. If you are allowed one, you don't NEED one unless you are going to free range your girls or want to hatch your own eggs.

I love my two roosters, but they are noisy. I live on ten acres out in the county, so that's not a problem for me.

Unless you're looking to hatch from your flock, there's really no need. :) Quite often, roos cause a more stressful environment (not just where the girls are concerned, but also for you!) than anything. :hmm Never have I seen a rooster protect the flock, either, unless mine are/have been completely spineless. Instead of standing strong when a hawk flew over, or at least leading the hens to a safe place, they were the first to hide! :rolleyes: My hens are far braver. :p

A couple pros: roosters are absolutely gorgeous, lovely to behold. :D And, provided it's not in excess, their crows complete the "farm" atmosphere. :)

~Alex

One of my chicks turned out to be a roo, and I have to say he’s a delight. His personality and mannerisms are so different than the hens, and the tidbitting and wing dance crack me up every time. I love the sound of a crowing rooster (we have a white noise machine in the bedroom so we never hear him while we sleep!) and he also lets me know whenever someone pulls in the driveway. He’s always watching for danger and gives the alarm when there’s a hawk so the girls stay safe. If any of the hens get out of their fenced area he throws a fit so I know I need to round her back up (too many predators for true free ranging). I know they are not for everyone, but I’m glad I have a rooster and think I always will have 1 in the flock.

One of my chicks turned out to be a roo, and I have to say he’s a delight. His personality and mannerisms are so different than the hens, and the tidbitting and wing dance crack me up every time. I love the sound of a crowing rooster (we have a white noise machine in the bedroom so we never hear him while we sleep!) and he also lets me know whenever someone pulls in the driveway. He’s always watching for danger and gives the alarm when there’s a hawk so the girls stay safe. If any of the hens get out of their fenced area he throws a fit so I know I need to round her back up (too many predators for true free ranging). I know they are not for everyone, but I’m glad I have a rooster and think I always will have 1 in the flock.
awesome! what breed of rooster do you have? I was thinking about getting one, so i dont have to stay outside every minute with my girls...although i do love watching them..its just that sometimes i have to cook dinner while trying to keep a watchful eye on them..we have 3 acres of woods around our house and i worry about fox or someother predator getting my girls..

I don't see why you would want one? Are you interested in breeding chickens? Do you want fertile eggs? Protector for your flock? Otherwise they are not really important for anything else. Chickens can lay eggs without a rooster just so you know.

awesome! what breed of rooster do you have? I was thinking about getting one, so i dont have to stay outside every minute with my girls...although i do love watching them..its just that sometimes i have to cook dinner while trying to keep a watchful eye on them..we have 3 acres of woods around our house and i worry about fox or someother predator getting my girls..
Here he is... he was supposed to be a black sex link hen lol... turns out he’s a mixed breed rooster, not quite sure what he is. The hatchery thought a Rhode Island Red and Barred rock mix. Not totally sure but he’s handsome and sweet!
5D59520A-6EC5-4DB8-B8A6-CBEAD0C03C2D.jpeg
9D46A9EC-5D8A-4294-8CCD-4C158C03D731.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of good advice in this thread. I agree with the general gist of what people are saying.

Pros; Roosters are a treasure, joyful to experience and help hold the flock together. They're great eye candy and can be a lot of fun, especially to observe. Many a good rooster helps defend his hens. I was loosing several hens a year to hawks until I got a good rooster. He keeps an extremely vigilant eye out and is good at what he does. With a rooster in the flock you can also hatch out new babies and satisfy broody hens.

Cons; Roosters are loud and they wake up to crow earlier than even the sun knows it's awake. They can overbreed hens in too small of a flock, even injuring them. A bad rooster will be a coward, a bully to his hens, or even aggressive toward humans and must be removed, which means the humans must be prepared to remove him one way or another if he turns out bad.

You do not "need" a rooster. Roos can cause problems. A flock of hens on their own can be quite happy, especially safe inside a fully enclosed run. But roosters can be beneficial if you get a good 'un.

Back
Top Bottom