Do I need a second door inside the coop ?

Fowl_Language_

Chirping
Feb 7, 2023
Central Florida
Hello! So I am wondering if my coop will be safe at night without a door on it. I will add photos of my coop. I have added hardware cloth to the whole unit and there are garden bricks on top of that around the bottom edge.. I’m kind of nervous to let them sleep in there without a door so I think I know the answer but was wondering what the pros thought. Thanks everyone. Sorry the photo is from when we first got it I don’t have a close up at the moment!

Attachments

• FA8CE1AD-3C73-4A20-8C81-F03CB2068105.jpeg
    FA8CE1AD-3C73-4A20-8C81-F03CB2068105.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Hello! So I am wondering if my coop will be safe at night without a door on it. I will add photos of my coop. I have added hardware cloth to the whole unit and there are garden bricks on top of that around the bottom edge.. I’m kind of nervous to let them sleep in there without a door so I think I know the answer but was wondering what the pros thought. Thanks everyone. Sorry the photo is from when we first got it I don’t have a close up at the moment!
You said you used hardware cloth, but this is chicken wire. Did you change it to hardware cloth? - if it’s only chicken wire, I would put a solar door there.

You said you used hardware cloth, but this is chicken wire. Did you change it to hardware cloth? - if it’s only chicken wire, I would put a solar door there.
Sorry I should have been more clear. This is a photo from when I first bought it, I just added hardware cloth on top of all the chicken wire!

Just to be safe, I would add a pop-door. It would be an extra layer of security. I like a regular wood door I have to open and close. It forces me to physically check the safety of the coop and enclosure every night, and make sure everyone is alright. Forces me up the the mornings, too - to see how they fared the night and check for any overnight breaches in the fence (I have occasionally found some). You can get an automatic door and opener if a manual door doesn't fit your schedule and lifestyle.

I imagine it this way: Without a pop-door, the chickens might well be relatively safe, but predators will still lurk around trying to find a way in. They can SEE the birds, the birds can see and hear the monster and they'll PANIC, and the monster will HEAR and SMELL the birds panicking .... he's just gotta find a way to get at 'em, you know? But with a pop-door in place, the birds are removed from sight. Neither the monster nor the birds will see each other, the birds likely will remain calm and quiet, and the monster will be discouraged from trying further and wander on down the road.

Back
Top Bottom