Do I need a Silkie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Glitterik, May 12, 2009.

1. Glitterik

Glitterik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    I am the proud new owner of a Welsummer trio. [​IMG]
    I thought I would have to get a Silkie if I ever wanted to hatch chicks. However, I also have a buff Orpington pullet. Do Orpington's get broody? Or do they also need a Silkie foster mom for their eggs? Thanks in advance for any advice. Dianne in Houston

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Yes...I do think you need a silkie [​IMG]

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Oh... Yes.. Everyone needs a Silkie [​IMG]

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Neighbor! Of course you need a Silkie...everybody does! But seriously, I've heard Buff Orps are good broodies too, so you might have what you need. Every chicken is different though, so one Buff might go broody all the time, and another might never want to be a mom. I have 2 Buffs and 2 Silkies that are 4 months old so I don't have personal broodiness experience yet...hopefully soon [​IMG]

5. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Okay, your going to laugh....I have a buff Orp. sitting on 19 Silkie, Sizzle and Showgirl eggs. She's hatched two Showgirls this morning. Maybe, all Silkie owners need a Orp!

I will not let them stay under "Big Momma", but to answer your question, my hatchery Orps do go broody. [​IMG]

6. Glitterik

Glitterik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    Well, thanks for all the good and prompt replies! I do adore the silkies - every color. I will keep my eyes and ears open. 'cause once you already have 4, you can keep 5 standing on your head, right? [​IMG]

I was really lucky that the Welsummers and buff Orpington got along great when intro'd. Should I anticpate any problems with introducing a Silkie? If necessary, I can keep it separate until it's older. dianne

7. Well of course. You need some evil in your flock. Evil is good.

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my Silkies from a BYC member down in Port Lavaca. He has many different colors. Let me know if you want his info [​IMG]

9. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    You totally need some silkies

10. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Of course you need some silkies! They are great setters and great mothers![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by