Do I need a vent in my coop even when the door is always open?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I'm planning to attach a 3'X6' coop to a 6'X8' coop/run.
This covered 6X8 space was originally intended for my chickens to sleep in as well but it's a bit hard to keep it draft free especially around the human door.
So I decided to attach a small space to it for them to roost at night.
The 3'X6' roosting space will be the new coop with one 6 foot long perch in the middle.
The small opening for chickens connecting the coop and the run will be always open as the run is 100 percent predator proof.
So do I still need a vent in the coop?
The run is 8 feet high and mostly covered with plastic but it's definitely full of fresh air.

There's no such thing as too much ventilation, some open air coops have only 2-3 walls.
Actually an open air coop was my original intention but it seemed too cold for my chickens in the last winter. So I built a smaller coop and move them there.
Now I have pullets sleeping in the original coop/run and it's getting cooler at night. Maybe I'll try to make the coop/run more sealed with ventilation on the top instead of adding a separate sleeping space.

How cold does it get where you are?
Lots of ventilation is fine, as long as there are no strong(strong enough to literally ruffle feathers) near the roost area.
The best way to find out is to stand in the area when it's really windy out.
It's pretty mild here in the winter. Rainy all the time and gusty sometimes. It doesn't get below freezing often but the lowest was 10 last winter which was almost record breaking. Normally the coldest would be 20 something for a few days once or twice during the winter.
The farmer I got my chickens from has hers in an open air coop with 3 walls on the grass so I know this breed, Light Sussex, is winter hardy.
My setting early last winter wasn't warm enough though so I'm trying to make sure no one gets sick this winter after it gets cold.
I was hoping to put the pullets in a small, cozy space where they'll generate warmth to keep themselves warm but maybe it won't be necessary.
I'll do the test when it's windy.

It's pretty mild here in the winter. Rainy all the time and gusty sometimes. It doesn't get below freezing often but the lowest was 10 last winter which was almost record breaking. Normally the coldest would be 20 something for a few days once or twice during the winter.
The farmer I got my chickens from has hers in an open air coop with 3 walls on the grass so I know this breed, Light Sussex, is winter hardy.
My setting early last winter wasn't warm enough though so I'm trying to make sure no one gets sick this winter after it gets cold.
I was hoping to put the pullets in a small, cozy space where they'll generate warmth to keep themselves warm but maybe it won't be necessary.
I'll do the test when it's windy.
It's not too cold at all, give them a roomy coop. They won't stay warmer will a tight coop, and that can cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom