Do I need food and water both inside and outside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by themartins, Dec 3, 2011.

1. themartins

themartins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm wondering if I need to provide food and water both inside and outside the coop or if its fine to just have it outside where they spend most of their time. I have a limited amount of space in the coop.

Thanks!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I personally keep water outside their coop, so they don't spill it and get their bedding all wet. Yea, means they have to walk outside in the snow to get a drink, but they don't have any issues with snow.

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont keep my food/water in the coop, it is outside in the pen where they can come and go as they please. Chickens will not usually be eating in the dark & some pick up the food at night to keep mice deterred.
    But I do also keep food outside the pen, as I generally let them out after noontime, so they can get some exercise, foraging, and what have you. Some dont have a place so they can do that...

4. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been keeping food and water inside the coop and run. It seems to work out well. When they wake early in the morning and I turn on their light, the first thing they do when they jump off their roost is dive into the feeder and get a drink of water. They won't go outside until the sun comes up around 7 or 7:30. That is about a 4 hr wait since I turn their light on at 3 am before heading off to work.
    I have just 3 hens. I have a built in feeder inside of the wall that opens up inside the coop. It works great, but not everyone thinks to put something like that in when building their structure. I also have two wall mounted feeders in the run. They are meant for gerbils or rabbits or something like that, but they hold enough feed to make a few birds happy. Here is a picture. They take very little space.
    [​IMG]
    There is also a small heated water dish for rabbit hutches that you can use inside the coop. I don't have a picture of mine, but with a little imagination, it can be mounted on the wall at the proper height to keep them from spilling it. Mine is working out fine and still takes very little space. I have to refill it every day, but it is enough to get them through those long mornings waiting for the sun to rise.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's fine either way, and there are pros and cons of doing it either way. If you're in a cold weather area, the biggest downfall will be the water freezing very quickly. And if you keep food outside, and your run is not covered, nocturnal predators may come in to eat it.
    As others have said, water can spill into the bedding if it's inside. And food can draw in mice (although it can attract mice whether it's in or out).
    I keep it both places in winter, but out in the run in summer...

6. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

I have a gallon cont. outside in there pen for water. I give them there snacks outside also.
    Inside I have a quart water and two feeders wall mounted the kind they use for bunny's and such they usually lasts a couple of days.
    I have 6 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by