1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need ladders?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by getagrip, Sep 23, 2015.

1. getagrip

getagrip Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    We just moved our 4 girls into a 4 x 8 coop last night and naturally they are a little upset with the move. They slept on the floor. I'm wondering if we have our roosts and nesting boxes to high for them and if we should add a chick ladder for both. Any suggestions are appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    It is not uncommon for young pullets to sleep on the floor in a huddle. Eventually, they will move up to use the roosts.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I have a ladder roost in part of my coop next to the regular roosts, and it helps transition the babies to the idea of roosting, if there aren't adults to show them the way. Mary

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Don't think you have room for a ramp(ladder) to the roost.
    They are going to need that room to fly down from roost.
    I'd put a perch about 7-8" in front of the nests tho, they need a place to land before entering nest.
    You also might need to angle the nest top steeper to keep them from roosting there.

5. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia

How old are your girls? If they are a few weeks old, they won't know how to fly up to that roost. When i have chicks in the brooder, i usually have a low roost about 5 or 6 inches of the floor so they learn to climb on the roost, as they get older, I move the roost higher. If I have a hen with chicks, she will teach them to get on the roost. Like JackE said, it is not uncommon for young chicks to huddle together on the coop floor to sleep.

6. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Thanks for your replies. My girls are 6 months old now. This is just their new home.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put one or two of them up there and see what they do.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can’t tell actual height from the photo but those look reasonable height. I don’t see any food or water in there so they should have room to get up to both the nest and roosts and back down. I don’t know why the nests are so bright but with that board across the front to keep the bedding in they should be able to perch there to get in the nests.

What kind of chickens do you have? Are they Silkies or some others that can’t fly? Do they have so many feathers covering their heads that they can’t see? A normal chicken should have no trouble getting up there but certain exotics might have problems.

How late did you put them in there and how dark was it? Could they see to get to the roost?

Were they roosting before you put them in there? By six months they should be roosting but part of it is a learned behavior. If roosts were not available when their instincts kicked in for them to start roosting they may have bypassed those instincts and learned to not roost. Aart’s suggestion to put some up there after dark might help break them of that habit. Once one starts to roost the rest usually follow pretty quickly. Usually, not always.

9. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Thanks aart. I thought about doing that but was afraid they might fall or flip out on me or something like that. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

10. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC

They have been roosting. I knew from reading on here they would be upset with the change which is why we moved them at bedtime but I didn't expect them to flip out like they have. They've been fussing all day, they willing have gone back in the coop but are not happy about the move at all. Pacing the fence line, verbally fussing, etc. Which kind of makes me sad because of how much thought we put into this area for them. I was so excited for them to be in their new home my husband worked nothing else the last week till we could get it finished. Now I don't know what to do. Will they get used to it after a bit on their own or is there something I can do to help them adapt? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by