Do I NEED supplemental calcium?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beverrlly, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    North Dakota
    My chickens get free choice layer crumbles (I believe it is Dumor from TSC). I've tried giving those hens every treat I can think of and it all lays untouched--I guess they are just not into "outside" food. All they are eating is their layer ration. I would think that food designed specifically for layers would have enough calcium in it that I don't need to put out eggshells/oyster shell. I do have some dried eggshells ready to go out to them but I'm wondering if they really need it. My hens only just started laying and I don't have any soft shells in our grand total of 10 eggs collected so far. Is this a problem that would show up later in the laying cycle? Thanks in advance!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Hello, it is really very important to put a dish of Oystershell for them, the feed does not have enough calcium in it, and if they don't like treats try to put some crumbeld feed on the treatsand they will start eating the treats like crazy.

Best of luck.

Omran

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If youre not having problems with thin shells, then they are getting all they need already

4. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Put out free choice chickens will eat what they need. Do not use in place of grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by