Do I need to build a pond if I get ducks?

Wow, now I don't feel so bad about mine in the weather!

We get a little chilly wind during a thunderstorm sometimes. I feel cold while I'm outside, getting soaked, trying to herd the ducks into the pen they don't want to go into. (I mean at night, I learned early on that they don't care if they are out in the rain during the day, and seem to prefer it!)

I just felt bad about putting them up in a pen with some wire walls, them wet, and a chilly wind. Meanwhile, they just want to flap around and dive BACK into the water. I guess they really ARE ok after all.

trish

We have kept ducks and chickens together for awhile now. They are MESSY
big_smile.png
! My mama duck even tried to hatch chicken eggs. She constantly stole the eggs from the chickens. We made nesting boxes for them outta old 55 gallon plastic drums. The drums are white-keeps the heat down. My dh cut the top off and filed down the edges. Layed the drum on its side-he did add some wood on the bottom kinda on the sides slightly to keep the drums from rolling. He drilled a few holes at the bottom for ventilation. We got HOT here in Texas!

We have to buy a new kiddie pool every summer because the old one wears out and starts to crack. We empty our pool out every couple of days so I found a kiddie pool at the Dollar General that is shell shaped with a handle on one end. I thought that may make it easier to pick up and dump. The ducks love when we dump out the water. They run up and play in the muddy water! The baby ducklings really love it! They try to swim in the little puddles.

LOL, yes, I think mine enjoy water on the ground even more than in the pool. They dabble in the muck with their bills and dig everywhere like crazy.

Makes me wonder what they are looking for in there though!

trish

We've had unbelieveable rain for the last 2 days. My ducks love it. They stand out in it and preen their little bodies. They play in the puddles. It really is cute. If I had remembered batteries for my camera I would take a pic!
he.gif

We have geese as well and it was just too funny to see them trying to clean in the kiddy pool. What we ended up doing that has helped is buying one of those 110 gallon tuff stuff watering tanks at tractor supply burying it on a hill with a pice of PVC pipe comeing out (capped) then put stepping stones and pebbles around it. we put big cement blocks in it because i was terrified of finding one of my little pygies drowned in it ha ha. we've not tried to clean it out yet beu havn't had to. the yuck sinks to the bottom and leaves clean(er) water at the top The geese still go to the kiddie pool for a drink of water but they love swimming in the deeper water. I need to try and get a picture of it.... My goats love it too no idea why because they have their own water tub. But I see all of them out there sunning themselves. Crystal

Just editing to say that the other idea my huby had was to buy two pools bury one then put the other in it so you could lift it out to clean it without the hole falling in on itself. If you do something like that make sure you put pebbles or something around it as it will cut down on the mud. C

Last edited:
You might consider what I did. I ordered Muscovy ducks because they are not supposed to be in the same family as "water ducks". they are considered "tree ducks", being perfectly at home in fields, etc and occasionally roosting in trees also. I just got mine today so I am not sure how will they will work out, but I did a lot of reading before deciding on Muscovies for a backyard without a pond.

Well, my runners just love their kiddie pool. I dump it and clean it every weekend. They do a great job of getting "sludge" at the bottom.

PICT6631.jpg

Cold....Ducks have a different definition of cold--after all they have full time downy attire!

PICT7901.jpg

I also house my ducks in a different coop. I have problems with my male attacking and/or trying to mate with my chickens---it's all OK while they're free ranging, but I didn't want him to beat up the chickens while in an enclosed space.

Good Luck

Sandra

From what I understand they only need enough water to get their whole head wet, but I'm sure the more water you provide the happier they are. I believe they do need water to mate though.

Yes, a kiddie pool is the best for my 2 ducks.
I empty mine every 2 days as well as I dont like to see organisms build up for too long due to health reasons for us!!!
The pond gets tipped up into the little mudhole next to it and they love it. Im sure they can smell worms in the mud. Worms are Quite smelly!!
My ducks are really naughty "bully" ducks, they boss our chickens around and even try to bash up "Goldilocks" my 16 year old hen because she waddles now and they must think she is a duck!
So Ive fenced off the lower part of my backyard and the ducks stay there.
The chickens are at peace, goldilocks is very happy and the ducks seem happy too!
I think each duck and chicken family are different, some get along, some dont.
I havent had eggs since the ducks came to stay.
Bad ducks, i want to perservere however and see how the fence system works,
Good luck with your ducks and have fun.
Just make sure that you have stepping stones going in and out of your pond so they dont drown if they are young! or put them in a baby pond first!

I have a kiddie pool for my ducks and they delight in it. I have a very slow trickle of a garden hose that flows clean water through it for them. By morning the water is clear again. This make my job a lot easier, the only bad side effect is that I do get a lot of messy sludge in the yard outside of the pen where the muck pours out.

Back
Top Bottom