1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to bury fence if my chickens will be locked up at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texandziggy, May 25, 2010.

1. texandziggy

texandziggy New Egg

May 16, 2010
    So I'm currently working out the details on a coop and run for 15 bantam chicks that are a week old. I'm building a very secure (I'm a carpenter and pretty much over-build everything) coop that they will be in locked into every night, so they will only be out in the run during the day. I will be using hardware cloth for the sides and also for the top.

My question is, with my chickens locked up in the coop at night, do I really need to bury the fence or have an apron to deter daytime predators? We have weasels, skunks, racoons, and foxes in the area, but they are all primarily nocturnal creatures. I know people in the area who don't have a buried fence, lock their chickens up at night, and have never had a problem. Have they just been lucky and you really do need to bury fencing for a run that is only used during the daytime, or is it not necessary?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If it was me, I'd go ahead and put an apron around the run. It's not that hard to do (no digging), and then you'll have protection against the digging predator problem. What if you're late coming home one night (or forget) to lock your chickens inside the coop?

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would go ahead and bury the wire or use an apron its better to be over protected then lose birds and have to go redo something. rather plan ahead and not give the predators a chance because once they have gotten in they will keep coming back. good luck with your chickens and welcome to the addiction call chickens. lol

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yes i would bury the wire. its worth the time in the end, just in case. [​IMG]

good luck and [​IMG] from ct.![​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It really just depends on how lucky you are, and how willing you are to take risks. Dogs are diggers, and will try to tunnel under. It's been said before, there are people out there lucky enough to never lose a bird with just a chicken wire run without a top. So do you feel lucky???

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I used an unburied apron and electric fence. No problems to date with predators except for a couple of their screams when they hit the electric fence.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Predators are out all day long.

8. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    depends. I haven't buried anything, but I know that there is always a chance something will come along. I also have 5 dogs that go out frequently, so the chances are pretty slim that anything would make it to the coop without my dogs sounding the alarm and scaring them off. Without the dogs I'd be more concerned.

9. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I have seen foxs, raccoons, skunks and possiums all out and about during the day around my place. not because of illness but because the food supply, chickens and the feed for the stock is out during the day. I most likely dont even want to know whats crawling around at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by