Do I need to give niacin if my ducks are on duck feed?

StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Everywhere I look says to supplement your ducks' feed with niacin, but what if I feed them specialized duck feed? Do I need to add anything if I feed them Purina Pelleted Duck Feed (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-duck-feed-pellets-40-lb-3004428-205) ? They will also have access to grass and bugs and whatever else is in the yard. Thanks!
Good question!

10mg a day for ducklings
12.5mg a day for grown ducks

is the standard. (Can't make the link open from where I am, probably this network... Or I would compare and suggest further... hmm suggestions).

I'd still give them supplemental niacin until they are at least 10-12 weeks old. Most of us use Nutritional yeast and it's 1 Tablespoon over each cup of feed.
Sometimes even when feeding the best food we can still have one or more come down with a niacin deficiency.
And many of us use it after they have become adults it's so good for them. Many large breeds can still have leg weakness, especially Pekins.

Good question!

10mg a day for ducklings
12.5mg a day for grown ducks

is the standard. (Can't make the link open from where I am, probably this network... Or I would compare and suggest further... hmm suggestions).
Thanks! Here is what the product details say:

"Feed your ducks from day one into happy adulthood. Purina® Duck Feed is specifically formulated to meet the elevated niacin levels ducklings need to grow and adult ducks need to maintain proper health. Our balanced formula is complete and can be fed to ducks as their sole diet from the moment they hatch through their entire life. Supplement this diet for laying ducks with Purina® Oyster Shell for added calcium

• 19% protein - Specific protein levels to support duck growth
  • Unique and complete formula - Balanced formula with all the specific nutrients ducklings need to grow and adult ducks need to maintain proper health
  • Niacin - Includes at least 60 ppm (mg/kg) niacin to meet ducklings' higher niacin requirements for bone growth and development, specifically in their legs
  • Prebiotics and probiotics - Supports immune and digestive health"

I've never had any issues with my Muscovy from hatch on. But using the Nutritional yeast will help guard against any niacin deficiency, especially if you don't know what the person your getting them from has been feeding them. I'd just rather supplement than have to deal with one with a niacin deficiency .

Thanks! Here is what the product details say:

"Feed your ducks from day one into happy adulthood. Purina® Duck Feed is specifically formulated to meet the elevated niacin levels ducklings need to grow and adult ducks need to maintain proper health. Our balanced formula is complete and can be fed to ducks as their sole diet from the moment they hatch through their entire life. Supplement this diet for laying ducks with Purina® Oyster Shell for added calcium

• 19% protein - Specific protein levels to support duck growth
  • Unique and complete formula - Balanced formula with all the specific nutrients ducklings need to grow and adult ducks need to maintain proper health
  • Niacin - Includes at least 60 ppm (mg/kg) niacin to meet ducklings' higher niacin requirements for bone growth and development, specifically in their legs
  • Prebiotics and probiotics - Supports immune and digestive health"
I don't disagree with what they are saying but We have seen many ducklings come down with a niacin deficiency when fed Purina and other high-quality feed. It's the individual duckling most likely and not the feed.

I've never had any issues with my Muscovy from hatch on. But using the Nutritional yeast will help guard against any niacin deficiency, especially if you don't know what the person your getting them from has been feeding them. I'd just rather supplement than have to deal with one with a niacin deficiency .
That makes sense, thanks! I'll have to see if I have some nutritional yeast on hand.

Back
Top Bottom