Do I need to give niacin if my ducks are on duck feed?

Thank you so much for the information! There is still room for supplementing with Niacin (B3).

Good sites like poultrydvm.com say that "Ducklings require at least 70 mg of niacin per kg of feed"

So yes, you can safely increment the feed with niacin.

I don't disagree with what they are saying but We have seen many ducklings come down with a niacin deficiency when fed Purina and other high-quality feed. It's the individual duckling most likely and not the feed.
Where do you get your nutritional yeast? Is it okay if it's fortified (with added vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants)?

Last edited:
I feed Purina duck to my ducklings and adults. I add Nutritional yeast from the grocery store for the ducklings. I have never had ducklings need additional niacin from doing this. Recently though, I got a 1 1/2 week duckling from a breeder. She was feeding Mazuri starter and gave me a large bag of food. That duckling ended up needing more Niacin. I’m thinking it was just this duckling, not the food, but who knows.

I haven't needed to supplement my ducklings regularly with niacin since I started raising them on an all flock grower that contained 45 mg/lb (99mg/kg) niacin. That's such a high amount that I felt safe not giving them extra. Most have been great with that, but I did have one batch that started staggering a little bit and got some extra B-complex. Some seem to need more than others, especially fast-growing duckling breeds.

I haven't needed to supplement my ducklings regularly with niacin since I started raising them on an all flock grower that contained 45 mg/lb (99mg/kg) niacin. That's such a high amount that I felt safe not giving them extra. Most have been great with that, but I did have one batch that started staggering a little bit and got some extra B-complex. Some seem to need more than others, especially fast-growing duckling breeds.
I would love to know what brand of all flock grower you are using.

Back
Top Bottom