DO I NEED TO HELP?? day 21 quails no hatching

I wouldn't do that. I will help if they've fully zipped and still having problems. Most of the time, if they're having problems hatching, it's because there are other issues that make them unlikely to survive.

If these are coturnix quail, it sounds like your temperature was too low during incubation. Never trust the readings on your incubator. Always have calibrated thermomters and hygrometer inside.
I use 2 different ones and they were both the same throughout. They're Japanese quail if that makes any diff to what I've done :/

I use 2 different ones and they were both the same throughout. They're Japanese quail if that makes any diff to what I've done :/
Type of quail absolutely makes a difference. Day 21 is very late for Japanese (coturnix) quail. You may want to make sure your thermometers are calibrated for your next hatch. It really sounds like your temperature was low.

You want to lower the humidity to about 50%, and since it is so late, you might want to take a look at this article. This hatch may not make it, but you'll learn for the future.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Type of quail absolutely makes a difference. Day 21 is very late for Japanese (coturnix) quail. You may want to make sure your thermometers are calibrated for your next hatch. It really sounds like your temperature was low.

You want to lower the humidity to about 50%, and since it is so late, you might want to take a look at this article. This hatch may not make it, but you'll learn for the future.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
So its really late and if I don't assist they'll prob not make it and if I assist they'll prob not make it

It's a tough call. Coturnix normally hatch on day 17-18. There's still a chance, but it's up to you what you want to do at this point.

Sometimes late hatchers turn out fine.
Is the fact they've not pipped yet a bad sign or would that be normal for a late hatch?

It's a tough call. Coturnix normally hatch on day 17-18. There's still a chance, but it's up to you what you want to do at this point.

Sometimes late hatchers turn out fine.
When would it be a write off? Bout day 25ish or keep checking and when there's no movement

The fact that they haven't pipped yet is a bad sign. Normally I start getting pips on day 16 and continue to get pips and hatches through day 18. Normally I would call the hatch on day 21.

The fact that they haven't pipped yet is a bad sign. Normally I start getting pips on day 16 and continue to get pips and hatches through day 18. Normally I would call the hatch on day 21.
Well since they're moving it's prob worth a chance at helping them then isn't it? If I leave them a few more days they'll be dead and if I help them now then maybe a slight chance they'll survive. Do you think?

Back
Top Bottom