Do I need to modify this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by banananutmuffin, Apr 1, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

I purchased this coop: http://www.thehenhousecollection.com/product.php?id=27

I
    plan to have 3 pullets and a 52 sq ft stationary run.

Do I need to do anything else for ventilation or predator protection to this type of premade coop? The back flap is where the ventilation is, but I also ordered the wire-over-window option so that I can open the windows if necessary. I plan to latch the chicken door after the chickens are in the coop at night. I am wondering if I also need to put wire around the bottom of the coop to keep out predators. I don't see how they'd get in, but I've see photos of people with wire around the bottoms of the coop, so I thought I better ask.

As far as predators in my area goes, we got a lot of critters that want to eat chickens: stray dogs, weasels, minx, hawks, fox, etc.

Thanks!

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Very nice coop!

As long as the bottom of the coop is solid I don't think you need to add wire. I know with a coop this size a lot of people fence in the space underneath as additional run space, then I would probably add a wire apron outside the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by